question

gherlt avatar image
gherlt asked

Problem with Mixing Pylontech US2000B PLUS (2018) and US2000 (2019)

Hello,

my working configuration (id 5041) was
Quattro 5000/48
Color GX
4 Pylontech US2000B PLUS modules
Energy Meter EM24

All single phase, works as off-grid, solar inverters are connected on AC-out.
All worked marvelously, all systems showed up as they should on ColorGX.

Now, 4 Us2000B modules most of the times works jst fine through the night, but sometimes not.
With some extra money at my disposal I bought 4 units more, which are now are labeled US2000, as of July 2019 the US2000B PLUS changes name (and only name as per pylontech statement 0709).

I connected the new ones first, but the battery did not show up on the Color GX.
When I connected one US2000B PLUS first it showed up, but the ColorGX did reset values constantly, and charge limit was set to 25A.
Then I connected the 4 old modules first and the new modules last.
Charge limit was now 95A (meanwhile it is 100A), as per 4 modules.

The 8 modules do wake up as "one", the LED from the modules all show up like they should and looks nice.
But Color GX display showed constant "values reset", as if it constantly re-ready the values from Quattro/battery/amperemeter.
I switched off DVCC, since then display is calm again, showing values from Quattro, Battery and solar inverters.

But Color GX still says 100A charge limit, and I have the feeling it sees only 4 modules.
Someone had the same issue ? What else can I check/change/try ?

Thanks
Guillermo

PS
I forgot to tell that after a few days all batteries were levelled.
And capacity-wise it looks as if all batteries are present.
So the batteries are working but it seems that the new ones do not communicate with ColorGX,

Pylontech
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ยท

Did you link the new ones with the original using the link ports and RJ45 cable? Or did you connect it to the other CanBus port directly?

0 Likes 0 ยท
gherlt avatar image gherlt Murray van Graan commented ยท

Hello, only the first one is connected to the CAN cable, the rest with small RJ45 cables.

0 Likes 0 ยท
3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

Hi @gherlt,

Can you please check the Discharge Current Limit in VRM, in the the advanced section under the batteries.

Did this increase when you added the additional battery modules?

If it did increase, then the GX device is accurately reading the information from the Pylontech and there is something else going on inside the Pylontech BMS to limit the charge current to 100A.

A 100A charge at 48V is still a lot! Are you charging your batteries anywhere close to this, or are you more concerned that something isnโ€™t reporting properly?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gherlt avatar image gherlt commented ยท

Hello Guy,

When I first had only two us2000b+ it was 50A, for charging this was OK, only small limitation. Discharging was a problem, so I bought two more, problem solved. Limit was then 100A.

Only voltage drop made it sometimes awkward.

That and overnight capacity made me buy 4 more. System works fine, I could live with 100A, but I am a data hi, I want full info on status, it is an off-grid installation. A control freak, just as my wife ? ;-)

I will check again this week.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Actually I think I remember a (incredible?) 1.000A discharge limit.

Which is Tesla-Level ludicrous ....

0 Likes 0 ยท
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ยท

@gherlt Worth trying this as well. Not answering your question, but it may help setting a solid baseline from where to work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTM-YMFiyns

1 comment
2 |3000

Batteries are balanced now, it took two days, now they are in sync.

0 Likes 0 ยท
abay avatar image
abay answered ยท

Hi @gherlt

I believe that the only difference between your batteries may be firmware.

I successfully updated some US2000B batteries to US2000B Plus via a firmware update with guidance from Pylontech staff. This was in August last year.

The process was reasonably complex but we got there in there in the end!

I cant say for sure if this is applicable to your batteries but from what you describe I think it is. It sounds like the same upgrade that we did, except that the US2000B Plus are now officially called US2000.

Let me know if you would like further details on this process and I can email them to you, along with the Pylon contact that we dealt with.

Regards,

Andrew Bayly

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Abay, I did search for some firmware upgrades but I did not understand quite well how that works, so please send me details. Are there Privat messages on this board ?

0 Likes 0 ยท
hitaki avatar image hitaki gherlt commented ยท

Hello Abay,

Can you make me follow the procedure for the firmware update ?

I am a little lost to communicate US2000B with te LV-HUB.

Thanks for you

0 Likes 0 ยท
gumo avatar image gumo commented ยท

hi i have a similar problem, please send me more detailed firmware update information on email Thank you

0 Likes 0 ยท