question

barhee avatar image
barhee asked

Onan generator split phase compatible with Quattro

I have an Onan 120/240 VAC split phase 9.5 MDKBM generator that I would like to wire to a (yet to be purchased) Victron Quattro. The other AC in will be connected to the shore power (single phase 240VAC).

My question is: will the Quattro accept the split phase 2x 120 VAC as a valid 240VAC source next to the single phase 240 VAC shore power?

The current Victron Centaur charger works fine with both Generator and shore power (via manual switching), but needs to be replaced because of an LFP battery.

I was thinking of a Quattro or Multiplus, but prefer the Quattro because it switches grid/generator automatically.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGeneratorsplit phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

Yes, it will work. You just don't use the neutral line from the generator.

There are some potential extra steps/complexity with regard to grounding, neutral-ground bonding, and RCDs if applicable. The details there can have an impact on safety, so you should probably consult with an electrician.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

barhee avatar image
barhee answered ·

Thanks Ben,

I will discuss the grounding issue with my electrician and give some feedback right here about the final result.

2 |3000

Chris Turrisi avatar image
Chris Turrisi answered ·

@barhee were you able to get this to work? I have a similar situation.

2 |3000

sebastianlehmann avatar image
sebastianlehmann answered ·

No this is not possible for safety reasons.

240 Single pahse will connect the neutral and ground for safety, 240 split does not, so when you are not inverting and passing through the L1 and L2 will be "live" but your boat or installation is meant to be L1 230 live and N (not L2 live), so L2 live will connect the N and Groaund making it unsafe.

Please make sure you talk to a very qualified electrician for this matter.

2 |3000