question

oxy avatar image
oxy asked

Request to add custom Device names in VRM

Hello,

If you have more than one BMV, it becomes really hard to read the Advanced page of VRM, because you have to remember which ID represents which BMV. If you have more than a few devices this is becomes rather impossible. See an example below:

Please, add ability to set custom device names which would show up instead of the [292], [291], etc.

Ideally, this name would also show up in the Device list instead of all the identical "Battery Monitor" entries:

Thank you!

VRMBMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jasontav avatar image jasontav commented ·

yes this is a great idea and much needed

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Teun Lassche avatar image
Teun Lassche answered ·

Hi @Oxy-, with the release of Venus 2.40, the device list of VRM now shows the name of the devices as they are entered on the GX device (for supported devices). Soon we'll also show that name on the advanced page and various other VRM pages.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oxy avatar image oxy commented ·

Upgraded. See the names in Device List. Really good first step! Will ewit eagerly to see them in Advanced page now (where the most benefit will be felt).

Thanks!!

Note: after upgrade/restart looks like one BMS changed ID (“old” device shows as not connected anymore in Device List). I had an issue filed for this earlier, but it’s not trivial to reproduce, though looks like even remote reboot can induce such an ID changed.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Oxy-,

That's a great example site you have there for why this is a necessary feature.

I have passed your suggestion along, thanks for taking the time to make it so clear.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you, Guy. Will be looking forward to it! Also, just let me know if you happen to need me to do a pre-release test :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Teun Lassche avatar image
Teun Lassche answered ·

@Oxy- it now works for the advanced page as well!

1 comment
2 |3000

Confirmed. Fantastic!

One issue though - after restarting GX all the devices in Device List of GX (not VRM) got shuffled. Is there any way to order them manually? I had the main battery monitor at the very top, but now it went down below and to see it one needs to scroll down, which is very cumbersome & slow to do remotely.

1 Like 1 ·