question

Martin Coetzee avatar image
Martin Coetzee asked

WIFI USB Dongle ASUS-N14 not found?

The CCGX is not seeing my dongle. i am running the latest firmware. is there a trick to this ?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Martin Coetzee

This wifi dongle is definitely supported from the current Venus version 2.33 and on.

It is on the list of supported wifi adapters here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#internet_connectivity

I also have one connected right now in my shed.

It works immediately when plugged in.

The trick you might be looking for is that it does NOT work with all micro usb cables. Please look around your house for other micro usb cables you might have (to charge a phone or something else), and try them all.

This thinner one definitely did not work:

This thicker one definitely did:

img-9756.jpg (780.4 KiB)
img-9051.jpg (907.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dave van Dongen avatar image
Dave van Dongen answered ·

Maybe this Wifi dongle is not supported? Victron isn't very clear on which aparters are supported and which are not, unfortunately... Trail and error, it seems.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/1295/currently-available-and-cost-efficient-usb-wifi-ad.html?childToView=1433#comment-1433

9 comments
2 |3000

@Dave van Dongen,

I have already replied to your question many months ago about a list of supported wifi adaptors.

The list is in the CCGX manual under "Internet connectivity - Wi-Fi USB dongle"

Is there something that could be more clear?

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave van Dongen avatar image Dave van Dongen Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I will reply to this later. It's quite a story and I don't have the time to post it now. But I want to share it, so I will later on.

0 Likes 0 ·
Martin Coetzee avatar image Martin Coetzee Dave van Dongen commented ·

please do going to site later today,

0 Likes 0 ·
Martin Coetzee avatar image Martin Coetzee Dave van Dongen commented ·

please dont forgrt to share, i have 2 sites with the same problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Martin Coetzee commented ·

@Martin Coetzee

Have you tried replacing the cable as I suggested?

0 Likes 0 ·
Martin Coetzee avatar image Martin Coetzee Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes i have 3 of the same ASUS units for diffrent install and they all doing the same. if i plug them into my laptop they power up instantly. i am swopping out a different unit from a working install today to see if it works.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Martin Coetzee commented ·

When you do, please try with each cable as well to see if it makes any difference (it did on my site).

At least then we can possible rule it out as one of the points of failure, if one unit works with both cables, and another unit doesn't work with either cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
Martin Coetzee avatar image Martin Coetzee Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Sure i will do.

0 Likes 0 ·

swopped it out with a Gembird WNP-UA-002 from a site thats close using the existing cable and it worked first time.

0 Likes 0 ·
jacooosthuizen avatar image
jacooosthuizen answered ·

I have a similar problem with a site we installed late last week. I have updated the Firmware to Version 2.33, and have tried two different USB cable, one of which is a high quality product. Still unable to connect via the ASUS USB-N14 WiFi module.

Can we exchange the unit for something that is tried, tested and working please?

2 |3000