question

bora avatar image
bora asked

Fuses/breakers

I will be adding my solar panels this weekend to the boat and want to check where I should have fuses.

At the moment the wiring from the 4x 150W panels will be 2x parallel then the 2x parallel in to series before going to the Victron MPPT 150/60 via MC4 connections. Should I have a fuse on the +ve input to the MPPT? There is then a 32A DC DIN Mount Breaker 125V MCB C curve on the +ve going to the batteries.

Secondly i’ll be putting an ET-112 from my onboard generator to give me power info to my Venus GX (no multiplus or Quattro onboard) I see there is a fuse to go on the neutral side of the ET-112 but it doesn’t say how much it should be, the generator is a Paguro 4SY, that puts out 3.5KW @230V.

MPPT ControllersEnergy MeterSolar Panelfuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

generally speaking fuse/CBs should be sized for the wires they're protecting, unless there is a specific reason from the equipment manual or standard in your jurisdiction.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

njordan avatar image
njordan answered ·

sure -but there is nothing wrong if you secure it even more than required - if you know that the setup is limited to 1000W. But again my question is - is it required/recommended to use an external fuse - do the two devices have themselves fuses, i guess so.

+ how do these fuses look like/i have no clue what i would buy.

Thanks

2 |3000

Related Resources

Energy Meter Selection Guide

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic