Solar Controllers 250/100 Parallel

Hi

Building a Solar System Consisting of

24 Panels 6 x 96v strings Southern Australia North & West Facing

2x 250/100 solar controllers

BMV 702

Multiplus 5000/240

CCGX,I have? or go VenusGX OctoGX for VE connections

My Question is how to parallel them correctly (presuming both Battery direct connection ? ) and provide ccgx connection of VE Direct including a BMV

& max length of VE Direct cables for fault free operation

Multiplus-IIBMV Battery MonitorCCGX Color Controlsystem designsolar sizing
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Wolf. You can parallel your mppt dc outputs to your batts anyway you like, subject to good wiring practice and your need for breakers/fuses/isolators. Victron's and other aftermarket kit may make that simpler & tidier.

The VE,Direct comms can be converted to usb if you run out of ports, with a Victron adaptor on the orphaned one or more. Even a usb hub within limits. So any GX box would do for your kit. There's also VE.Bus to the Multi to consider, but no big deal.

Cable distance a little vague, but maybe 3-5 metres, a bit like usb itself. But an ethernet/wifi connection to the GX eliminates that need over longer distances, with a laptop or suchlike on the end for full access.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wolfbarnsolar avatar image
wolfbarnsolar answered ·

Many thanks JohnC

Confirmed my thoughts

VE direct to USB great thanks keeping my CCGX

re-
Cable distance a little vague, but maybe 3-5 metres, a bit like usb itself

See https://www.jaycar.com.au/20m-usb-extension-cable/p/XC4124

YES they Work Well & consistently. have had one for 3 years connected to a computer & Hub in a garage to house situation

Martin

Keeping up with Off Grid Systems & Reality

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Yeh Martin, keep your CCGX. I'm not so sure Victron would recommend long comm wires, and I'd avoid them personally. Up to you if you want to try..

That 'Reality' for me is having a CCGX screen close to the actual kit, so if troubleshooting (ha, never seems to be needed) I've local access. I keep a laptop on the coffee table, and access both the CCGX screen and VRM portal via ethernet/wifi. 2 browser tabs for those. Laid back on a recliner lounge, bluetooth mouse on my knee. Life was meant to be easy, well it was for me.. :)

Decadence would be pushing it to the big tv, but I've avoided that so far..

0 Likes 0 ·
wolfbarnsolar avatar image
wolfbarnsolar answered ·

Yes JohnC

I will give it a go as 2 buildings 20 meters apart & would save Re cabling for Solar

Will let you know

I would prefer your scenario close to the equipment but not always possible

I check VRM portal (Permanently on Tabs )each morning & evening & Even when overseas as I have got to the stage I trust what the Victron gear is doing & telling me from the graphs

55" tv Displaying your data awesome! But better things to do

Martin

2 |3000