question

ncpw avatar image
ncpw asked

Connecting Multiple Victron SmartSolar MPPT to one Battery Bank

We have a customer who currently has 2 x Victron Smart Solar MPPT Regulators... Both feeding a single battery bank - he also wants to now add a 3rd to the system feeding the same battery bank.

This is only a small system (e.g. MPPT100/15's) - and I know he could just get one large MPPT - however this is not the desired outcome due to different aspects / shading etc.

--

I have been searching and found that there are a few conversations similar to this however no rock solid answers so I have the questions:

1. Is the functionality available yet (July 2019) for the two (or 3) MPPT Regulators to work efficiently in parallel synchronising their charging algorithms rather than one switching off prematurely?

2. What information do the MPPT Regulators "share" with each other if connected via VE Direct Smart Network?

3. Will VE Direct Smart Network communicate exactly the same as using the Cable? Or are there limitations?

MPPT Controllersbattery chargingVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi!

1. No not yet. Note that in most cases it will work fine. We’ll soon start testing the synchronised charging feature.

2. Voltage and current setpoints; and voltage and temp measurements; and more. We’ll document it once we start testing / or releasing.

3. I’m not sure what you mean? The smart network works between the chargers; vedirect cable does not: they serve a different purpose.

Best, Matthijs

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alan avatar image alan commented ·
How far are we away from synchronized charging via V.E Direct?
1 Like 1 ·
bluenomads avatar image bluenomads alan commented ·
"me too" for this one. I have non-Smart bluesolar on VE.Direct to Cerbo, but want sychronisation (paralleling) as well. Replacing the VE.Direct cable with a dongle won't do it as the dongle explicitly says in the manual that it doesn't.
0 Likes 0 ·
per avatar image
per answered ·

How about Q1, connecting multiple Victron SmartSolar MPPT in parallel to one battery bank?

Will these controllers interfere each other. Or what will happen if voltage and/or current from connected solar panels differs due to different brands or eg. shading etc?

1 comment
2 |3000

Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Multiple MPPT's providing different levels of charge current (due to different PV conditions or otherwise) is not a problem - each individual MPPT will contribute whatever they can to the total combined charge current.

The main factor is that all MPPT's have the same voltage reference, the same voltage target/setpoint and ideally are in the same charge phase. Although if one/some MPPT(s) shifts into float early/before the other(s), it's typically not an issue since by that stage of the charge cycle the remaining MPPT(s) still have sufficient power to 'finish off'.

But full synchronized charging is in the works and currently being tested before formal release.

Also refer to this question/answer;

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/30546/vedirect-mppts-in-parallel-with-maxigx.html?childToView=30577#answer-30577

0 Likes 0 ·
wingphil avatar image
wingphil answered ·

I am doing a similar network of mppt units. So the question is really the ve smart is getting a sync possibility? Actual position is two units powering different battery banks, but when one or other go over 13.2 volts they connect- to charge other bank in case of shading/unequal drain, and built in failure charge duplication.

If it is will blue solar, historical fit, work with it? if so through which interface?

Or will it only work for smart solar, possible second unit, units without interface.

And will the They talk direct or through the hand held device?

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Direct protocol FAQ