question

mark-hetho avatar image
mark-hetho asked

Distant current transformer in grid parallel installation

I'm trying to design a viable system for connecting batteries to a property with three outbuildings, with the grid connection separate from the outbuildings. The most practical building to install the batteries in physically, would result in an inverter being around 10m from the point of grid connection. Which is under renovation including the addition of a utility cabinet for the batteries and inverters. The intention is to run sufficient gauge cables to allow for the entire grid connection to run through parallel multiplus inverters in the future allowing for grid series or entirely off grid operation. However for now due to the size of the battery bank a single 5kva multiplus is the limit, necessitating grid parallel operation.

How far can the current transformer monitoring grid consumption/export be located from the inverter (e.g. multiplus II)?

current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Mark-hetho

For these distances you should use an energy meter:
https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/energy-meter

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mark-hetho avatar image
mark-hetho answered ·

Thanks for the response!

I will research the energy meter options in a bit more detail, but that sounds like what we would need.

I think we will end up with three meters in the meter box - the grid feed smart meter, one for another existing inverter, and another for this ESS!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic