question

mathijs avatar image
mathijs asked

Load output on Victron Smartsolar MPPT controller is always off.

The jumper is removed, the bluetooth app is connected and load output is set to always on. The load output keeps showing as off and there is 0v on the connectors.

I tried resets, reboots firmware upgrade, etc. Everything suggested in this community. I'm not the only one struggling with the load output. Nothing helps.

Also the charge settings are not suited for LifePO4 batteries. It looked so good on paper but it's definitely not working properly due to poorly written software.

Any suggestions are still welcome though, this is my last hope because there's not even support from Victron directly, they send you to the vendor. Not good service.

software
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tom56 avatar image tom56 commented ·

I think the load output of the smaller Smartsolar MPPTs, like my 100/20, is just too sensitive. The load output fails to distinguish a real short circuit situation from a regular usage situation.

My theory is that various devices containing capasitors will cause the load output to switch off, because capasitors demands an instant charge that the Smartsolar MPPTs erroneously sees as a short.

Maybe there are few users of the smaller Smartsolars using the load output as their power supply. Other setups may be more common, so the load output may not be a top priority to Victron.

0 Likes 0 ·
mathijs avatar image mathijs tom56 commented ·

Thanks for the reply. In theory having a seperate load connection on the charge controller allows for advanced logic. I think I'll return the unit.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Ray avatar image
Ray answered ·

If you search for this thread

smartsolar 100/20 load switches off in float mode

you will see my similar problem and possible solution.

regards,

Ray

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tom56 avatar image tom56 commented ·

Long thread, but as far as I can see the load output of the Smartsolars has permanent design limitations, or flaws, if you like. Me, I can not connect my new Pioneer car stereo to it.

Thank you for the clarification.

0 Likes 0 ·
mathijs avatar image mathijs commented ·

Could you summarize what is the solution? It looks to me like the solution is to connect the load directly to the battery, which doesn't allow for the advanced logic I'm looking for.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
dubaisolarrookie avatar image
dubaisolarrookie answered ·

A simple suggestion to fix this problem is to use an automated relay.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic