question

bosvark avatar image
bosvark asked

Grid parallel with quattro

Hi all

Im working on a 3phase system with 3x8kW Quattro's. DC coupled PV array with a lithium bank.

My question is regarding connecting it in parallel with the grid, meaning public grid is connected to AC in and only critical loads on the no break output. My understanding is the quattro will supplement the loads on the grid side and supply the critical loads through the battery.

System example below, I assume the quattro will be capable of the below configuration?

wiring
1561921237443.png (38.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

The mains would typically enter the Quattro via AC-in and then the loads are split internally via relay to AC1 & AC2 out.

AC-out-1 (see appendix A)

The AC output cable can be connected directly to the terminal block "AC-out".

With its PowerAssist feature the Quattro can add up to 3kVA (that is 3000 / 230 = 13A) to the output during periods of peak power requirement. Together with a maximum input current of 50A this means that the output can supply up to 50 + 13 = 63A. An earth leakage circuit breaker and a fuse or circuit breaker rated to support the expected load must be included in series with the output, and cable cross-section must be sized accordingly. The maximum rating of the fuse or circuit breaker is 63A.

AC-out-2 (see appendix A)

A second output is available that disconnects its load in the event of battery operation. On these terminals, equipment is connected that may only operate if AC voltage is available on AC-in-1 or AC-in-2, e.g. an electric boiler or an air conditioner. The load on AC-out-2 is disconnected immediately when the Quattro switches to battery operation. After AC power becomes available on AC-in-1 or AC-in-2, the load on AC-out-2 will be reconnected with a delay of approximately 2 minutes. This to allow a genset to stabilise.

AC-out-2 can support loads of up to 25A. An earth leakage circuit breaker and fuse rated at max. 25A must be connected in series with AC-out-2.

All the answers you seek in here including schematics .

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Quattro-3k-50-50A-230V-(firmware-xxxx4xx)-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE.pdf

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bosvark avatar image bosvark commented ·

Thanks for the feedback

The averages peaks per phase is 7kW with spikes at 10kW for short periods.

If I then move on to connect grid on AC-in-2 and the loads on AC-out-1, the 10kVA quattro can supply loads up to 43A from solar and battery, if more is needed it will supplement from grid - self consumption.

In case of a grid failure AC-out-2 is limited to 43A (8kW)?

0 Likes 0 ·
bosvark avatar image
bosvark answered ·

As an alternative to the below mentioned, i can also design the system as below, running ESS. Only using MPPT chargers.

In this case the loads can be bigger than the inverter as they are connected in parallel and only the critical loads runs through the quattro. I will however need an additional cable to the critical loads.

Is the above correct?

1561977540535.png (117.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources