question

adev avatar image
adev asked

100/20 DC load cutout...

I have access to 2 SmartSolar 100/20 controllers. Previously I was using a cheapish 30A PWM controller with load output terminals. I have that running to a small 6-fuse box and then to loads, mostly LED lights and 3 of 12v “cig” sockets which I mostly use with USB chargers. I have no inverter and no loads coming directly from the batteries.

I sometimes use a third party charger for my macbook air with the following specs: Input DC 11-15v Max 10A; Output 10v 4.25A, continuous.

On average I don’t tend to use more than about 6-10a at any given time simultaneously as the laptop is my highest power load.

I’ve never had any trouble using this with my PWM controller supplying powe do the loads via the fusebox. When I tested the first SmartSolar 100/20 with all other things being the same in the system, plugging in the macbook charger (even without the mac connected) would cause all loads to cut out, but the controller would switch the load output back on within 10 seconds and from then on everyting would work as expected, unless I unplugged/plugged the macbook charger again in which case loads would trip off and on again, but never had any other issues.

That first SmartSolar is now installed in a nother vehicle where it exhibits the same behaviour.

I now have a second SmartSolar 100/20 installed in the sytem described above, and plugging in the laptop charger trips the loads off as before, but they don’t seem to come on again until I unplug the charger.

Any ideas on what’s causing this and what best to do to overcome it? I’d rather keep all my DC loads coming from the controller’s load terminals for now in order to provide low voltage protection for the batteries and also to monitor power usage via the Victron Connect app. The laptop charger being 10A max shouldn’t be overloading the system... I considered there could be some kind of fault in the charger but it’s strange that one 100/20 swtiches loads back on after a few seconds and the other does not...

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mathijs avatar image
mathijs answered ·

I'm facing a similar issue with my 100/20, as soon as I connect my inverter to the load, even when it's switched off, the load state goes into OFF. Before connecting, I see 24V on the load output and the app says load ON.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adev avatar image adev commented ·

how big is your inverter? Unless it’s under 175w then it should really be connected directly to the battery anyway, but for DC loads well under 20A this really should work better. My old PWM controller never had any trouble.

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image
adev answered ·

I tracked down the source of the issue - I had a bad USB cable for my iPhone plugged in - it was supposedly a genuine Apple cable bought on eBay but it’s clearly counterfiet. Removing said cable from the USB charger means I can now plug in my laptop charger and althoug the loads all cut out for a few seconds, they do come back on and stay on and are usable.

2 |3000

adev avatar image
adev answered ·

This video seems to shed some light on this issue

2 comments
2 |3000

adev avatar image adev commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
simon-bernin avatar image simon-bernin adev commented ·

Thanks, on the one hand, that seems like a working solution to it. The advantage over using a relay powered by the victrons output is being able to use the amp measurement, but you need to have a mosfet setup. On the other hand, I would rather have the Victron give you that 5 or 10ms timeout before it disconnnects the load due to overload protection, let's say up to 40A. It shouldn't damage anything, right? It still has the 20 A in my and 25 A fuse that you have.

But as Victron said, this is not to come. If more people complained that the system is too oversensitive, maybe they'd start offering that timeout. :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic