question

Stephen Kunkel avatar image
Stephen Kunkel asked

Monitor and control two Multiplus in standalone parallel configuration.

My application is a large RV with split phase 50A input.. Campground pedestals can vary from 30A single phase to 50A two phase. When we arrive at a 30A pedestal we use an adapter that spans the two legs for reduced power but still feeds both legs. Because of this I was forced to connect two Multiplus 24/3000 70 50's, one per leg.

Obviously, this also causes me to keep my inverter AC Outs seperate with each Multi feeding one side of the breaker panel separately. By doing this I can no longer connect the RJ45 cable between the Multis and therefore need to have two of everything like Venuses and Color GX's.

Overall the system works great for a year now but I want remote access from the cloud and two Venuses (Veni?) or GX's aren't really a seamless solution.

Any thoughts on what I could change to make things a little more tidy?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

If you configure the two as a split phase system then they will appear a one unit on a VenusGX.
Aslo, your two legs will be kept 180° out of phase.

This document highlights parallel and three phase systems, but the principles apply to split phase systems too.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

A gentleman on Youtube explains this quite well I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twLjlpeibdA

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stephen Kunkel answered ·

Forgot to add they share the same battery bank, hence the parallel.

2 |3000

Stephen Kunkel answered ·

Thank you, WKirby. That video is just what I was looking for!

2 |3000

cookinwitdiesel avatar image
cookinwitdiesel answered ·

Is it possible to run the 2 inverters off of the same ve.bus and GX device and batteries but NOT configure split phase? Just each inverter doings its own thing with each leg of the 50amp shore power without regard to each other. Since the 2 sides of the 50 amp panel are essentially separate, you never need a true split phase 120v/240v setup. If the 2 inverters can be “parallel” but phase agnostic it would make everything WAY easier for the 50amp RV crowd.

With the the split-phase setup, you end up with one inverter passing through its AC voltage while the other rejects the phase on its input and inverts (so essentially wasted power and less battery charging) When using a single phase generator (like the most common Onan models) or the adapters for 15/30 amp shore power.

Ideally we would be able to have the flexiblility to use the system in split or single phase operation without needing to do things like have 2 separate power inlets with one designated for single phase source and running through an autotransformer.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic