question

suhayb avatar image
suhayb asked

Lithium battery 12.8v 60 Amp

if i put 2 LFP battery 12.8v 60 amp in series and the starting current for the truck reach 600 Amp what happens to the lithium battery?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

More specific details about the battery is needed to determine its maximum surge capacity and continuous delivery rating. However since this battery system falls well short of 600A I do however expect a much shortened battery life, high risk of overheating and possibly fire. Best to check with a professional battery supplier if they have any experience as this is a solar forum. Typically you also still see LA used for starting generators next to a Lithium installation.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

suhayb avatar image suhayb commented ·

thank you but the starting current for the truck or vehicle just need around 600 Amp for 5 second

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image
adev answered ·

In fact, the older VICTRON pre-smart battery datasheet lists 600A 10 second discharge current for the 60ah batteries. However they also make it very clear you need to be using a BMS if you run them in series or parallel in case of cell over or under voltage, so be warned.

I’m not 100% sure the newer smart batteries have the same specs.

3 comments
2 |3000

suhayb avatar image suhayb commented ·

thank you for your support

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image kai ♦ commented ·

The current datasheet no longer has the pulse current rating. I think it may be Victron's way of saying its at your own risk.

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image adev kai ♦ commented ·

That’s true and I did alude to that. However the Winston 60ah cells, which is what’s inside the victron batteries, do in fact have a 600ah 10second pulse current according to manufacturer’s specs.

0 Likes 0 ·
juliayu avatar image
juliayu answered ·

I used to work in Winston factory for 4 years, Victron is using Winston cells, the 12V battery is not designed to be used in P or S. So your intention of using 2 12V batteries in P is not good. Plus 600Ah big current, serious damage for batteries. Please do not try so. Better consider 8×60Ah cells in S than 2 12V60Ah.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Suhaybk, it's not recommended to use LiFePO4 batteries as starting batteries. There are multiple reasons for this; the first, as addressed in previous answers, is simply that most reputable LFP drop-ins have a BMS that will shut down the battery when subjected to a load so significantly exceeding their peak rating. Another reason to not use an LFP as a starting battery is that the temperature extremes generally to be found in an underhood mounting configuration will dramatically shorted the lifespan of your LFP battery - if not in fact cause the BMS to shut down charge/discharge of the battery as well. And a final excellent reason to not use an LFP for a starting battery is that the start battery is typically charged directly by the alternator, and it is NOT safe to charge an LFP directly from your alternator unless you have a "smart" alternator or an external regulator that is specifically designed with an LFP profile.

Currently, AGM batteries are still the best cost-effective option for starting batteries if you want the PCA ability of an FLA battery with an extended reserve time; if cost isn't a particular factor, you can of course go to the carbon foam batteries like the Firefly Oasis for all the benefits of an FLA/AGM with a good helping of the discharge capabilities of an LFP.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic