question

solarmad avatar image
solarmad asked

Easysolar 5000 self consumption not reducing charge for cold BYD

I have an easysolar 5000 installed with a 2.5kWh BYD battery for self consumption. When the battery is below 13 degrees the victron does not wind back the charge to the battery inline with the BMU causing a high charge current fault and then the battery shuts its self off. Any ideas what setting I have wrong??

EasySolar All-in-OneBYD
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Have you followed the steps for installation here?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:byd_b-box

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solarmad avatar image solarmad commented ·

I believe so, what the problem appears to be is that the BMU is not controlling the MPPT according to the CCL. under the ESS setting is it supposed to be optimised with battery life or external control?

0 Likes 0 ·
solarmad avatar image solarmad commented ·

It appears like everything is nearly right the PV ramps down with the load as it should but the charge is around 1000W to the battery which is too high, needs to be about 700W when the battery is below 13 degrees. Is there a setting to change this or is it internal between the BMU and the Multi?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ solarmad commented ·

Please confirm DVCC is enabled.

The feature is explained here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_-_distributed_voltage_and_current_control

0 Likes 0 ·
solarmad avatar image solarmad Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

It wasn't, I have been disabling since the email victron put out about the colour controller display errors. I will have a good read thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ solarmad commented ·

If you are experiencing display errors, then you do not have the minimum firmware versions that are specified in the Victron BYD manual.

Please contact your installer to have the firmware for your system brought up to date.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:byd_b-box#product_system_compatibility

Then follow ALL the steps as they are written in that manual, and you will have a reliable (and warranty compliant) system.

0 Likes 0 ·
solarmad avatar image
solarmad answered ·

Morning Guy, no luck with the DCVV i Enabled it. I also tried manually lowering the input current in the ESS setting with no luck. I have been in touch with BYD and they advise that the BMU is sending the correct messages to the victron but are unsure why the victron is not limiting the charge in accordance.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Steve,

That’s interesting.

Is this site on VRM? Would you mind giving me the site ID so I can have a look?

0 Likes 0 ·