question

Ed avatar image
Ed asked

Victron 150/70 showing error 38

I have a Victron 150/70 controller, 4 - 200 watt panels, 2-Battle Born Batteries, Xantrex XC2000 inverter and BMV 712 Battery Monitor. My issue is that when the batteries are being charged from solar it fluctuates between 0 Watts and 400 - 500 in bulk mode. When I place a load on the system I do not get a substantial increase. It continues to fluctuate. Occasionally it gives a fault code #38. The amperage is set to 30A from the 70A max based on a recommendation from Victron. Any ideas?

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi Ed,

It could be a wiring fault, or a problem with the charge controller. Please follow the directions here including the rewiring.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/mppt-error-codes#err_38_err_39_-_pv_input_shutdown

Get a pro to help.

I’d also have a look at the Max V for each day in the history in VictronConnect.

See how high the voltages are getting.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ed avatar image Ed commented ·

The panels are wired in series. Would that possibly cause error code #38 or #2?

0 Likes 0 ·

It is very easy to destroy the 150V units with 4 panels connected in series. But it depends on the panels, and location. This is explained in the beginning of the MPPT manual (in the big warnings section).

There is an MPPT calculator here will helps size the correct panel arrangement - https://mppt.victronenergy.com/?locale=en

Please post a screenshot of the history screen in VictronConnect.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ed avatar image Ed Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for all your assistance.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Ed,

That Max PV Voltage (~45V) shows panels connected in parallel (not series). If the panels were connected in series, that voltage would multiply (4 x 45V = 180V = destroyed MPPT).

So there should be no problem with damaging the MPPT from the current panel configuration.

That large variation in battery voltage (11v to 16V) indicates a wiring fault such as poor connection please contact a professional to inspect the wiring of the system.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ed avatar image
Ed answered ·

Thank you for all your advice.

2 |3000

Related Resources