question

Fra avatar image
Fra asked

Battery protect and battery temperature

I ask victron to insert the VE smart network connection in the smart battery protect.

It would be very important that the Smart battery protect can detect the battery temperature from a Battery sense or smart shunt, and disconnect the chargers if the temperature is too high. for example if a cell in the battery shorts out and is under charge.

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Fra

That would be the job of the batteries own BMS.

Individual cell monitoring and internal temperatures should be things that are monitored, if they aren't by its own BMS then it is an unsafe battery.

For DIY packs you can use the bms to signalmthe remote of the mppts to charge or not charge. So there are already features in place for integrating.

Bluetooth is not reliable enough for use in such a safety feature either.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Fra avatar image Fra commented ·
I'm talking about lead acid batteries. without bms.

How bluetooth is not reliable?

The smartsolar mppts receive the temperature via bluetooth from the battery sense.. and in case of overheating of the lead-acid battery due to an internal short circuit, they disconnect the charge.

They explained it to me right on this forum since it is not mentioned in the manual.

the reality is that victron products that do not support the Ve smart Network are SIMPLY LACKING.

It's like DC DC orion Smart..people have been asking for years that it supports Ve smart network to receive temperature and voltage and battery current from networked devices.

it's totally nonsense that orion doesn't support Ve smart network.. and it's also nonsense for smart battery protect.

It would be nice if on this forum victron accepted a customer suggestion or request, at least once in a million!

Instead, every criticism or request is answered that what Victron has done is the best and only possible choice.
0 Likes 0 ·