question

Dave avatar image
Dave asked

Logging data without VRM Portal - possible?

Hi all,

I have batteries, PV panels, a Quattro 5000VA, two SmartSolar MPPTs and a CCGX connected to a PC via MK3-USB and via Ethernet. The PC is connected to a LAN (no internet so no VRM Portal). I can VNC into the PC from the house to see the CCGX interface in a browser. The Virtual Switch (configured with VEConfig) cuts off the grid whenever the PV is sufficient to keep everything running, which is most of the time.

It is a fantastic system but I would now like to log data such as SOC so I can check it later, for example to see when the grid has been used because right now I have no way to see this.

Is there a way to log SOC without using the VRM Portal? A scheduled task running on the PC and somehow getting data regularly via the MK3-USB perhaps? Or is there a program you can suggest that can 'browse' the CCGX and get the data that way? I looked at using an SD card in the CCGX but there is no documentation on how data is written to the SD card, and I would need to repeatedly unmount and then physically remove the card and bring it back to the house, extract data somehow, then replace it in the CCGX - not trivial for every day!

So I would be grateful for any ideas on how I can log data offline.

Thank you.

SOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Since what you are asking is outside of the scope of normal operation, I'll move this into the "Modifications" space.

You'll most likely be able to get the data out of the CCGX using either MODBUS-TCP or MQTT to query the device and extract the data that you want.

There is no "out of the box" software or solution for datalogging on your own computer, but the information can be easily obtained via one of the two protocols I mentioned above.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

VictronConnect on Windows and macOS supports the offline conversion of CCGX information to XLS format.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start#importing_and_converting_a_gx_product_family_database_file

You can also upload the file (once zipped) to VRM via another computer, which is a much better experience because the VRM is such a pleasure to use to browse system data compared to excel:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#vrm_portal

There are other ways too, which WKirby has mentioned, but those are the simple ones.

2 |3000

Dave avatar image
Dave answered ·

Thank you for your [very quick] reponses!

Guy, I have had a quick look at Victron Connect but I obviously need to read up on the exact procedure needed and work out how practical it would be. Getting hold of the logfile seems to be the biggest problem.

WKirby, it does sound like RFTM on MODBUS-TCP and MQTT is worth a shot. I had not heard of either of those up to now, so it will be a long read!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic