question

flhtci2006 avatar image
flhtci2006 asked

Trying to figure out what I need

I currently have a 200W panel and will be adding another one to my RV. I have a PWM controller that I will replace with a MPPT controller. For batteries I'llbe using 2 each 100Ah lithiums. I would like to use the Victron MultiPlus 12/2000/80-50 120V inverter charger. Can someone help me with what other components I would "need" and ones you recommend I have, although not "needed". I will need to remotely be able to control the system and monitor it. Thank you for any help you can give.

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

For remote monitoring you will definately need a Venus device eg. a VenusGX or CCGX.

400W worth of solar will call for at least a 35A MPPT controller on a 12V system. Get a bigger MPPT if you can afford it which will allow easy addition of extra PV if you want to expand.

There will be cabling and accessories that you'll need to connect everything together. It's not easy to advise on this from afar. You'll need to reasearch this based on your own requirements or have your distributor advise you.

This book by Margreet Leeftink of Victron Energy is an excellent read and my help you decide what you need in terms of wiring: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdkngditufe0zfb/Wiring%20Unlimited.pdf?dl=1

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

... maybe worth looking at the charge controller tool for an accurate assessment of the charge controller needed (https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers#mppt-calculator). Since an existing system will be upgraded (assumption), reflect on the adequacy of the wiring, fuses for the solar, whether the new batteries have integrated BMS etc. Basic connectivity could maybe with a bluetooth dongle as you can then connect to the Multiplus and a Smartsolar device with Victron Connect. Burning some midnight oil may be in order.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic