question

raymiller avatar image
raymiller asked

Venus GX Digital input counters REORDERED suddenly 29th May 2019 12:20 (UTC +10hours)

At this time the Venus GX counters appeared to suddenly transpose ie D1=D5, D2=D4, D3 remained the same. The Venus GX was not touched nor the wiring and has been working almost 12 months without any problems.
I'm at a loss as to the cause. Any ideas?
No wiring was changed and it was the counters on the Venus GX and VRM data which changed.

By way of example, D1 is connected to a tipping bucket rain gauge and D5 is a solar energy meter with pulse output 3200/kWh. Up to 29th May D1 has a very low count then suddenly gets a daily large number from the solar energy meter.

Venus OSVenus GX - VGX
1559777544980.png (49.5 KiB)
1559777586062.png (49.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all,

This was a bug in v2.30. Released around the 29th. So any device that was ( auto) updated will have had that issue.

And now not anymore: we released v2.31 which solves it.

My apologies. This should not have happened.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

raymiller avatar image raymiller mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks V2.31 did solve the issue Digital input order.

0 Likes 0 ·
raymiller avatar image
raymiller answered ·

Some more information; a screen-capture of the VRM data highlighting in yellow two counters with negative counts D3 and D5 also some added code "a163" in some columns.

This is all indeed strange, on investigating the problem checked all the wiring, the only thing I found is the VRM negative power cable had a finger tightened M6 bolt hold the cable lug.

1559782264385.png (98.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

just a though its maybe just upgraded its self to 2.30 f/w as that has not been out that long So,

select the old firmware as this is backed up on the unit and see if that reverses the issue

worth a go ???

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi Ray just noticed this in the Modifcations area unader a updat for 2.30 iots now upto 2.30-4 but its the latest release candidate and beta F/W use at own risk I would think.

so the roll back would be better until 2.31 is realsed Your call

changes in v2.31~1 and ~2:

• Fix digital inputs in Venus GX not working properly (broken in v2.30)
  • Fix summary of scheduled charging missing in the gui (broken in v2.30)
  • Add new MultiPlus-II model names
  • Add ModbusTCP registers , 32-bit registers for PV Inverter Energy measurements
  • Fix Automatic system voltage detection not working properly for systems with a MultiPlus Compact that is switched off & has dipswitch 2 set to On. Thank you at @Suavek for reporting.
1 comment
2 |3000

raymiller avatar image raymiller commented ·

Thanks, I did not search "digital inputs", the Venus GX is configured to auto update and should be the latest version, but this happened some time ago unless the V2.30 just activated with a power reset or software reboot?

I might just leave it for now, but it did take a while to figure out what had gone wrong.

0 Likes 0 ·