question

sandmac avatar image
sandmac asked

150/35 MPPT 10 khz noise

Hello guys,

I have installed a 150/35 MPPT Smart Solar charger in my van and it is driving me crazy with the noise it produces. Once I disconnect the solar panels, the noise is gone.

Is this normal, something I have to live with or is there anything that can be done?

Thank you

MPPT Controllersbattery chargingsolar
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adev avatar image adev commented ·

I have no idea, but what app is that please?

0 Likes 0 ·
sandmac avatar image sandmac adev commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image adev sandmac commented ·

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all,

We looked at it; and indeed. There is the audible 10kHz noise. The developers ears are worse than he thought.

We’re working to fix it and will contact you from the support desk for a replacement, sandmac.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sandmac avatar image sandmac commented ·

Thank you very much for looking into it and the offer to help. I'm looking forward to it.

0 Likes 0 ·
sandmac avatar image sandmac sandmac commented ·

Hello, I've received and installed the new unit from you, unfortunately though the noise hasn't changed at all, still the same as in my original picture, 10031Hz.

0 Likes 0 ·
Elimac avatar image Elimac sandmac commented ·

Maybe something is resonating in your system... and since you told that disconnecting the load has no effect,

Can you change, just for testing,

a) any wire lengths between your panels and the controller?

b) different panel configuration? can you take one panel off for example?

0 Likes 0 ·
sandmac avatar image sandmac Elimac commented ·

Thanks for the suggestion Elimac, I'll try to set it up next week.

Even though I am not sure if that can help if the Victron guys heard the same noise in their tests.

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image adev sandmac commented ·

are you absolutely sure it’s the MPPT unit emitting the sound? Do you have anything else near it? I noticed yesterday one of my 12v USB chargers has started emitting a sound in a similar frequency.

0 Likes 0 ·
sandmac avatar image sandmac adev commented ·

Hi adev, I am positive that the sound is coming from the MPPT. I've disconnected the load part from the battery and only the MPPT and BMS are active at that point.

Checking with the app I can pinpoint the source of the sound and it peaks right next to the unit.

0 Likes 0 ·
eric-heiberg avatar image eric-heiberg commented ·

I have the same 150/35MPPT (for a small system I have in addidtion to an Easysolar) -and I have the same noise.

Eric

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ eric-heiberg commented ·

Hi Eric, noted. We’ll contact you as well.

(Once there is a solution, which might take a while)

0 Likes 0 ·
marv21 avatar image marv21 mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hello, is this fixed? I want to buy a 150/35 Smart for my car. Dont want to hear that noise in my Radio...

0 Likes 0 ·
Elimac avatar image
Elimac answered ·

Did you ground the MPPT ?

Yo cold try that to see if improves.

8 comments
2 |3000

I did try to ground it, but it made no difference.

0 Likes 0 ·

Can you describe better yoru system? What is system voltage, lenght and cross section of both battery and solar cables? Any loads too, can you describe them? Do you have any load working while the noise is audible?

0 Likes 0 ·

Sure thing.

It's a 12V system. The cable from the mppt to the battery are 16mm² and about 60cm long each.

3 solar panels in series with a total voltage of 60V and 540W, connected with 4mm² about 3m long.

0 Likes 0 ·
sandmac avatar image sandmac sandmac commented ·

Ohh and I've disconnected the load from the battery, same noise still

0 Likes 0 ·

It would be interesting to check the MPPT sweep. Can you monitor the PV voltage with your phone when there are light variations, from a cloud for example? Do you see the device try to get a different point or does the voltage stays basically the same?

Other than aclev's idea about a possible ground loop, I can't remember at anything else at the moment...

0 Likes 0 ·

I tried to oberve it today, but the voltage stayed pretty much the same throughout the charging cycle, regardless of clouds.

0 Likes 0 ·

I think you should have seen some variations... maybe someone from Victron can shed some light...

0 Likes 0 ·

I have no grounding....

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image
adev answered ·

Is the noise coming from the unit itself, or is it a ground loup that’s interfering with other equipment eg radio and coming out of the speakers?

2 comments
2 |3000

It is coming directly from the unit. It is in the back of the van.

0 Likes 0 ·

Adev: nothing else -just the mppt and the battery and a small inverter

0 Likes 0 ·
montreal-woodworks avatar image
montreal-woodworks answered ·

I have the exact same issue. Swapped out the 150/35 with a competing (cheap) MPPT and the noise went away.

The Victron should be a superior product, and I'm sure it is - except that the high pitched squeal is driving me nuts.

Mine is connected to 400W of solar at 24v (2S2P 100W) and outputting to 24v of LifePO4 (2x 100ah Trillium batteries) if that is relevant. Wiring to and from the MPPT is 10 gauge and about 3m long from panels to MPPT and 1m from MPPT to batteries and the BMV700 monitor.

1 comment
2 |3000

panko avatar image panko commented ·

Hello, can you elaborate more on the setup that eliminated the RFI please?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic