question

philippe-rigollet avatar image
philippe-rigollet asked

how to edit config file on Mac as VE configure only exists for windows

Hi,
Before I bought an EasySolar I had read everything was possible through VRM portal. I had downloaded the app both for IOS and OSX so I was under the impression that the Apple ecosystem was fully compatible.
But now as I see no ESS assistant found I only seem to be able to activate that through downloading the rsvc file and edit it. When I click on the download VE.Configure3 link, I get to a software download page where Victron Connect is available for different OS but VEConfigure is only avail for windows!?

I've looked around on the VRM portal and I can't find how to edit that config file.
As you can imagine I'm not keen to buy parallel or Fusion just for editing that file.

Am I missing something?
Philippe

macOS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

VE.config is only available for Windows and there are already a few questions about that topic:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/3404/how-do-i-use-ve-configure-with-a-mac.html

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

philippe-rigollet avatar image philippe-rigollet commented ·

I saw the questions on the topic but as they were 5 years old or more I had hoped that Victron would have come up with a full support for Mac. Quite disappointing!
Are there plans to be able to edit either the file or the config through the VRM portal in the future.
That would align with the message from Victron I often saw that you can do everything through VRM

0 Likes 0 ·
yann avatar image
yann answered ·

On linux I use it on WINE windows emulator, and it works just fine. May be there is similar emulator for mac ?

1 comment
2 |3000

philippe-rigollet avatar image philippe-rigollet commented ·

Wine is no longer provided as a download for Mac although I think you can still build it yourself. However CrossOver provides an easy to install emulator where you can then install windows binaries.
It's €70 but they provide a 2-week free trial. So far it worked a charm!
It installled VE.Configure then detected a newer version, and seamlessly installed the latest version.
If it's as painless as this I'll probably buy a licence for it to be honest as it's quite a lightweight solution. No need for full Windows OS nor licence.
Hope it helps someone else.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic