question

Jared Baker avatar image
Jared Baker asked

PV voltage never goes above 12.0-12.6 never charges.

Hello I have a 160W panel and a MPPT 75/15. The PV voltage never goes higher than 12 plus volts. It never charges. I have tested on a meter the battery and solar voltage. I have had the camper in different spots. One thing I can not explain is when I charge the batteries I see the PV voltage go up as the battery charge goes up.

Thank you for the help.

voltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

What does the data sheet for the 160W panel say ?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jared Baker avatar image
Jared Baker answered ·

Open Circuit Voltage: 21.4V (Vmp 18.6V)

2 |3000

Jared Baker avatar image
Jared Baker answered ·

Had to drive it somewhere today and as the battery was charging the solar voltage went up too.

That does not seem right.

img-6740.jpeg

img-6740.jpeg (212.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The solar charger sees the battery voltage. So when you drive, the charger sees the voltage from other charge sources.

If the MPPT is not seeing something close to Voc from the panel, there are a few possibilities.

Faulty panel.

Shading of panel.

Faulty wiring/connections/switches between panel and MPPT

Faulty MPPT.

You'll have to check this with a multimeter.

1 Like 1 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Did you connect the Solarpaneland the Battery on the right Terminals? I had a customer which installed it wrong around and it had the same effect.

1 comment
2 |3000

Jared Baker avatar image Jared Baker commented ·
I will double check

0 Likes 0 ·
Jared Baker avatar image
Jared Baker answered ·

This solved. I had a friend bring a spare panel. Plugged it into my setup and it started charging right away. So it's s bad panel. Thank you.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic