question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

Benefits of PV fronius (or similar) over Victron MPPT?

Dear All

I am currently determining how many panels I need (installing bit by bit, as not to overspend). One parameter is sun orientation in winter.

I have read a few articles that states how efficient the PV inverters are (like Fronius). However, if you compere the cost for the Fronius to the Victron MPPT's, it seems that they are a fair bit more.

My Question:

Is it better in the long run to buy a Fronius compared to the Victron MPPT (let say 250/100) with ESS, when considering Return on Investment (ROI)?

My impression that I am getting is that Victron MPPT's are fine and more "modular" (+ROI) with a slight lesser efficiency (DC-AC) , but designing your system "around" a PV inverter will most probably be disappointing.

Just short and sweet answer if you have.

PS, I know that the PV inverter can "pick-up" the load while the Multi is idling (grid active - Pass-through). I also note that some have pointed out that the waveform can suffer on PV when pushing the higher limits.

MPPT ControllersFronius
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

PV inverters are cost effective so if the goal is to mainly service AC loads or to feed-in with it, then that can be more efficient.

If the object is to store power for self-consumption then DC MPPT's are more efficient and simpler.

Some use a combination of the two.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Agreed.

For battery bank charging DC mppts (so Victron).

Charging batteries from fronius - no, the inverter gets really hot and it is seriously inefficienct. Running loads direct is perfect. I personally dont like some of the light flickering that it produces at certain production points

Ease of system integration, Victron.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Multiple MPPTs can overcome AC coupled charging limits e.g. if an AC coupled storage inverter can only charge a batterybank at 100A, even though it can accept 220A like mine, then using e.g. two 250/100 MPPTs can in my case provide 150A (limited by my 7.8kW array). This can be easily increased with more panels and MPPTs and no grid operator approval required on the DC side for now unless I want an inverter with a larger output. A lot however will depend on peak loads, storage size, array size, and actual requirements.

2 |3000