question

nodnyl88 avatar image
nodnyl88 asked

BeagleBone Black Venus OS hardware question.

Hello lovely people,

I am a complete noob and apologise in advance...sorry.

I'm mostly looking for some confirmation before pulling the trigger on buying hardware to attempt Venus OS install on. RPI's are obviously pretty hard to find at the moment so I've been searching for a reasonably priced alternative: leading me to the Beaglebone Black.

Can anyone confirm for me that this: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/microcontroller-development-tools/1252411 is the correct board for the job before I drive down to RS components to purchase?

I have read through the github wiki several times and confused myself :D am I correct in thinking I can install Venus OS on BBB, and then connect my 3x ve direct/usb cables to a 3rd party USB hub, and from there connect to my RPI4 which is running my Homeassistant OS.

really appreciate if anyone can help me clarify whether my intended plan is doable.

Regards.

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Jons Collasius avatar image
Jons Collasius answered ·

512MB DDR3 RAM and one single 1Ghz Core? The Beage Bone is more like an Arduino on crack but not a single board computer.

You don't want to use this outdated crap.

Take a look at this, if it has to be from uk.rs-online.com
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/single-board-computers/2563902

2 GB RAM and quad core should do the job. It's also cheaper.

The Cerbo GX has 1 GB and is dual core btw.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nodnyl88 avatar image nodnyl88 commented ·

Thanks for your reply.

lol the OKdo is exactly what I'd been looking at over the last few days, but I've found no info on anyone using it to run Venus OS and have no idea whether it will work or not. I'm paint by numbers with this tech stuff: I only really know how to follow installation instructions.

What would installing Venus onto one of these involve?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jons Collasius avatar image Jons Collasius nodnyl88 commented ·
At least basic knowledge of linux, the use of the command line, using git and make. If this all sounds familiar to you: no problem.

In doubt: the yellow brick road is the Cerbo GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
nodnyl88 avatar image nodnyl88 Jons Collasius commented ·
Thanks for your helpful input, I appreciate you taking the time. I guess I'll see if I can find myself a Raspi and muddle my way through.
0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Look at the Banana PI or Orange PI which are mostly compatible with the Raspberries.

I run some of the older Banana PI M1 because it offer a CAN port...

1 comment
2 |3000

Klaus Probst avatar image Klaus Probst commented ·
Interesting! How to install VenusOS on the Banana PI M1 also equipped with A20 CPU? Any hints are welcome. Thank you!
0 Likes 0 ·
sam-carleton avatar image
sam-carleton answered ·

I thought I would chime in here, first off... I should have asked the same question but didn't, I just purchased a BBB and have it running Venus OS, it works, but it is slow. I did have to purchase an external USB-powered hub for all the cables, all in all, it would have been cheaper to purchase the Cerbo GX.

2 |3000

Related Resources