question

ht-skateboarder avatar image
ht-skateboarder asked

Discrepancy between Smart Solar Battery voltage and Battery Monitor Voltage, 0 current

Hi there seems to be a mismatch between the reading on my Smart solar and my Battery monitor leading to 0 current and no power going from the solar panels to the batteries. Any idea what would cause this? Theyre both on the same network and firmware has been updated. I have tested the terminals on the unit for the battery and the PV and there is power going through them.IMG_3013.PNGIMG_3014.PNGIMG_3015.PNG

BMV Battery MonitorMPPT SmartSolarsmart solar set-up help
img-3013.png (360.3 KiB)
img-3014.png (324.8 KiB)
img-3015.png (409.8 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Which one does the dmm agree with?

Did you completely disconnect the panels from the mppt and check then?

0 Likes 0 ·
ht-skateboarder avatar image ht-skateboarder Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Looks the the battery monitor matches the multimeter reading. I’ll try with the panels unplugged. Additionally I noticed the graph on top that shows the wattage coming in is always at zero so maybe there’s a disconnect where the power isn’t actually reaching the Smart Solar unit. I get a multimeter reading at the terminals however so I’m not sure
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Looks like a break in the wiring between the battery monitor and the smart solar.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ht-skateboarder avatar image ht-skateboarder commented ·
Yeah I suspect there might be something not immediately visible. I did extend the solar panels wire a few inches with some sloppy splicing and heatshrink but I’m not sure that would completely cut off the power coming in. I’ll be taking the van to a conversion shop tomorrow to see if they can figure out the issue
0 Likes 0 ·
ht-skateboarder avatar image
ht-skateboarder answered ·

It appears I had used a 6awg lug on a 8awg wire and when I crimped it the wire wasn’t actually making contact with the lug and therefore no power passing through lol

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
At least you stripped the insulation of the wire before crimping ;).
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page