question

menningd avatar image
menningd asked

Multiple CAN-enabled batteries with Cerbo/Multiplus

What functionality (if any) is available or activated if I connect two (non-Victron) CAN-supported batteries to a Cerbo and Multiplus? Specifically what does Victron support on it’s side , of course it depends on what information the specific battery/BMS is making available over CAN. I believe you can manually view the status, bank/cell properties etc, and set rules/triggers with each individual battery module. But can it do anything more advanced like totalize SOC of connected batteries? What would happen if you enabled DVCC? Or can it only recognize one of the connected batteries as the main and all else as auxiliary? I’m afraid I already know the answer since you can only use one smart shunt as a battery monitor. It sure would be nice to have the option to combine shunts or CAN-enabled batteries as ‘one’ just for the purpose of totalizing SOC at minimum.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gxVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@menningd

A few questions...

1. Are they the same battery, with same charged voltages currents and other needs?

2. Why cant they be daisy chained -it is can after all?

3. It is an officially supported battery? Or other bms?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

menningd avatar image
menningd answered ·

1. Yes 2x identical batteries

2. BMS doesn't have support for daisy chain - each can only communicate with Victron directly

3. Other BMS

I think I found the answer here unless anything changed in firmware since 2020? https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/53457/can-i-connect-more-than-one-bms-to-the-venus-gx.html Seems like Victron cannot recognize 2x BMS on same CAN network because "The BMS-Can protocol doesnt use addressing". So both the BMS must be able to consolidate information themselves first before communicating with Venus OS?

2 |3000