question

bazil avatar image
bazil asked

Clarity on amp usage when comparing 12 V bulb via MPPT v's 240 V bulb via inverter

Sorry if this question is somewhat amateur, but I'm rather new to this ....

In the following scenario I have:
- one 5 W / 240 V LED bulb connected to a 240 V inverter (5 / 240 = 0.021 A)
- one 5 W / 12 V LED bulb connected directly to the MPPT (5 / 12 = 0.42 A)

Do you agree my calculations are correct; does this effectively mean the 12 V solution places a greater load on the battery and will consequently deplete the battery more quickly than its 240 V counterpart?

Best regards

batteryvoltageamps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Your calculations are correct.
However, if the 240V bulb is running through a 12V to 240V inverter then it will still be loading the battery with 5W or 0.42A at 12V. Each bulb is 5W, so the load on the battery is 5W either way.
In fact the 240V bulb will put more load on the battery due to the losses in the inverter.
So in fact the 12V bulb will put less load on the battery than a 240V bulb with the inverter. The 12V buld is a direct load without any power conversion needed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bazil avatar image
bazil answered ·

Really appreciate your input; you've addressed things I would never have thought about!

Best regards

1 comment
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·

I have made some experiments and if a "AliExpress" 12V LED bulb with 6W has realy 6W input power, a 6W 230V bulb has an output power of 6W, but it has also an Inverter from 230V to 50V in it which decrease the evviciency. Most 6W 230V LED bulbs have an input power of 8-12W where the upper value is just horrible.

I use pure 24V DC lighting (Bulbs, Stripes, etc) to avoid this wast of energy.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic