question

from-waste-to-wind avatar image
from-waste-to-wind asked

AC-coupling of windturbine with Phoenix-inverter or rather Multiplus/Quattro?

We are a small start-up that is 3D-printing windturbines from recycled plastics. We would like to know how we can connect them to the grid with and without solar. For now we have a windturbine of 500Wp and 3000Wp that we want to test in this set-up. Our MPPT-controller also has a DC-DC converter so output voltage can be whatever it needs to be.

Connecting our windturbines to a DC-bus would be an option to consider:

325970414-877110206929533-4854826959668243638-n.png

However, it appears that only the Multiplus and Quattro can connect to the grid? We are in Europe (230V, 50Hz grid).

We have read https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start and watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpQzEZTElI but these questions remain open.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSPhoenix InverterHydro and Wind Powerwind
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

MultiPlus-II is the correct answer.

You can use the DC coupled wind controller (like in the schematic) as well a AC could wind controller connected to the AC1out of the MultiPlus-II.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

from-waste-to-wind answered ·

Ok, thanks already. The Easysolar also looks interesting.

Assume that there are lead-acid batteries connected and the windturbine raises the voltage towards charging voltage. How will the solar MPPT know that the batteries are not full but merely being charged?

What I know is that the smart solar mppt's communicate over bluetooth to sync charging algorithm, but here there is no such communication, just a DC-bus.

1 comment
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
The EasySolar has the SmartSolar already integrated and works flawless, however you will need the VE.Bus dongle and the Victron Configure software to setup the EasySolar.

I have seen the EasySolar 2 years ago the first time and it had a realy strange behaviour after the installation (no dongle and software in this time)

Whenever I switched on the fuse to the grid, the integrated SmartSolar stopped charging (switcgey off) and the Batteries where charged from the Grid.

0 Likes 0 ·
from-waste-to-wind answered ·

From what I read it should be possible with an Easysolar (activate ''has DC system" so it will substract the solar current from total current to result in some kind of external DC current - it is not clear to me how this will influence charging).

An other possibility would probably be using a Cerbo GX as active regulator and a BMV to send it the source and current data from the (unmanaged) batteries.

2 |3000

be-wind avatar image
be-wind answered ·

A good solution is build a small controller box, with rectifiers and capacitors to smooth out the DC.

This will then allow you to use the MC4 or DC input from a wind turbine. Since our wind technology has 2 generators, we use 2 rectifiers. This allows us to use the turbine output

in series or in parallel to alter the voltage for either low voltage MPPT controllers or higher Voltage controllers.

controller-box-medium.jpg

2 |3000