question

alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob asked

How much PV wire insulation should be stripped to plug into MPPT RS 450/200?

Is this documented anywhere? Is there a way people "measure" the amount of insulation to strip off the wire before plugging the PV wire into the MPPT for a best fit?

mppt rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @AlaskanNoob,

Solar PV input cable insulation should be removed to allow 12 mm of exposed copper into the PV attachment point on the MPPT RS. It should not be possible to come into contact with any exposed copper wiring, the fit must be clean without any stray strands.

I have just added that detail to the manual, but may take a little while to be published.

Please be aware to use very fine stranded cable into that entry, exact spec cable strands for that is in the safety section of the MPPT RS manual.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·
Thanks for that Guy. Just to confirm, since this is news to me and I didn't think beyond the 600V direct burial rating when I ordered 2800' of 600V 7-strand PV wire that I had shipped to Alaska, the 7 strand PV wire we bought presents a safety issue?

If this is the case I'm very bummed, but very happy before installing it in a forest tinder box.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ alaskannoob commented ·
The safety issue only exists at the connection point to the MPPT. Your underground cable is fine, but you would need to terminate it at a switch (that is compatible and designed for the cable you've used), and then run the finely stranded cable from that switch to the MPPT.
0 Likes 0 ·

Guy thank you very much for that. Can you confirm that the 2800' of 7-strand PV wire we bought and had shipped to Alaska (600V direct burial) is a safety hazard with these charge controllers?

https://nassaunationalcable.com/products/10-awg-7-or-19-strands-pv-wire-photovoltaic-cable-single-core-2000v

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy, could I put MC4 connectors on my 7 strand PV wire before the charge controller and then have those plug into shorter PV wire with many more strands of wire to Victron's spec that plugs into the charge controllers? Or do I need to replace all the PV wire for the entire run to the panels?
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ alaskannoob commented ·

That would be one way to do it, though I don't recommend it either.

You definitely DON'T need replace the entire cable run, only find a junction or switch to adapt from your thick strand cable and allows you to run a finely stranded cable the last yard to the MPPT.

1 Like 1 ·
@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I'm finally getting ready to connect the PV into my MPPT RS. Will cut to 12mm exposed copper, but I don't see any torque specification in the manual for the screws that tighten it in the plastic connectors?
0 Likes 0 ·
alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob answered ·

This is the wire we bought for 7 arrays to run between 30' and 140' to the charge controllers.

https://nassaunationalcable.com/products/10-awg-7-or-19-strands-pv-wire-photovoltaic-cable-single-core-2000v

2 |3000

waninae39 avatar image
waninae39 answered ·

use a ferrule not just bare wire

the ferrule length is just the right length

1 comment
2 |3000

I've heard many say use a ferrule with Victron MPPTs, but haven't seen Victron mention them in their manuals.

It's odd that 10 AWG PV wire can't be 7 strands according to Victron due to the contact area issues requiring more strands, and yet ferrules are used which you'd think would be like making a single strand in the connection.

Also, I've heard several say not to use ferrules with Victron's spring mechanism as it isn't a good fit.

It would be great if Victron would explain their thinking on the connections more clearly for beginners like myself.

0 Likes 0 ·