question

ntfrnd avatar image
ntfrnd asked

Venus OS: Settings -> Relay not available

Hello,

I have installed Venus OS large 2.93 on a RPi 4. As far as I have read, a relay should already be activatable in the settings.

Unfortunately I can't find an item called "relay" in the settings.

Can someone help me? Do I have to set or activate anything else to see this menu item?

And to which pin must the relay be connected by default?

Thanks!

Venus OSRelay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

By default the RPI does not have any relays configured. You need to add them to /etc/venus/gpio_list.

I have a package that makes it easier to configure:

https://github.com/kwindrem/RpiGpioSetup

It has a stock gpio_list file and allows for a custom (manually edited) version if the default GPIO pins don't work for you.

With the stock file, 6 relay outputs are available.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ntfrnd avatar image
ntfrnd answered ·

@Kevin Windrem Thank you for your response.

Now I installed the SetupHelper in the Venus OS and then the RpiGpioSetup.

After a reboot I see 2 relay in the Venus OS GUI

1676482902433.png

Where are the relay 3-6 visible? How to switch it?

I read that for CAN-Hats a seperate "gpio_listForCanHats" is available. Where can I find it? In /etc/venus there is only the "gpio_list" located.

Is it neccessary für the single waveshare CAN-Hat to change the gpio-Pins or only for the dual channel CAN-Hat?

Thanky you very much!

1676482902433.png (15.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The menu enhancements to show additional relays is in my GuiMods package. That also provides a relay overview page to make access to relays much easier than digging into the menus. This was done so that relay enhancements like names can be added to other platforms.

You do not need a CANbus hat to make the additional relay outputs visible. gpio_listForCanHats is available in the RpiGpioSetup package and can be installed by running the setup script from the command line. However this is only necessary if conflicts between CANbus hats are encountered. It adds no additional functionality.

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello
I got everything installed and it looks good.
Have installed Rpigiposetup and reboot all relays etc. are there now.

My question I put a Canhat on my RPI4 for the BMS to the Pylontech...

Can I simply attach the relaymodul onto the Canhat module,see the Picture!

Canhat
RS485 CAN HAT für Raspberry Pi 4B/3B+/3B/2B/B+/A+/Zero W/Zero WH, Ermöglicht Fernkommunikation über RS485/CAN Funktion, Onboard CAN Controller MCP2515 über SPI Schnittstelle, Transceiver SN65HVD230: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

Relais Modul
Raspberry Pi Relais, KEYESTUDIO 4 Kanal DC 5V Relaismodul Bord Schild mit Optokoppler für Raspberry Pi 4/3/2: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

Is that okay? Do I have to consider anything else?? or just plug it in and reboot and I can switch the relays, only need 4 pieces!

@ntfrnd
Do you also have this constellation?
So already attached a canhat for BMS Pylontech?
If yes, does it work with the relay card?

Thanks

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

@Kevin Windrem

I still have a question!
Can I also change the gipo/pin list if necessary, i.e. use a different gipo/pin if I have problems when testing?
So that would be the file /etc/venus/gipo_list right?

It looks like the Waveshare canhat module and also the relay module uses the PIN15/gipo22!

Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

The short answer is yes.

There are always potential conflicts between GPIO usage that you need to sort out. I provide an alternate GPIO usage for relays and digital inputs that may be of use. You can also create your own custom gpio_list file that RpiGpioSetup will use instead of its standard and alternate ones. Consult the ReadMe file for that package.

VeCanSetup also checks for potential conflicts with known CANbus hats but does not do anything about them.

1 Like 1 ·
gexle avatar image gexle Kevin Windrem commented ·

rpi4-relaisplatine.jpgThanks Kevin Or do the whole thing like this, you don't have any problems because you only wire the pins that you need.

Then the Canhat BMS Pylontech can work without any problems.

0 Likes 0 ·
gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·
Hello Kevin

In which folder can I change the Gipos?
I mean where on the Venus OS or in which folder structure can I find the Gipo list.
Where exactly is the file stored so that I can make a Gipo change there and this change is then read by the Venus OS when it starts?
Thank you

Thank you
1 comment
2 |3000

/etc/venus/gpio_list.

If you are using RpiGpioSetup then it overrwrites any changes you make to the file above but there is a mechanism in RpiGpioSetup to install your own custom gpio list.

1 Like 1 ·
gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·
One Gipo output is broken, now I just want to replace your one Gipo output with another, 
nothing more!

Do I have to restart the venus Os for the changes to be read in?

Thank you
1 comment
2 |3000

yes
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic