question

adrian-arbib avatar image
adrian-arbib asked

Multiplus overload

installed a Multiplus 2 5000 , one heavy loads board ( non back up ) ans a critical loads ( back up) ,the latter via the Multiplus . Typical draw on back up board is around 1kw when the customer turns kettle on and washing machine the inverter shuts down. Any sugggestions how to stop it overloading . i thought the inverter had a 50amp pass through current and was capable of handling these type of loads when grid connected ?

Multiplus-II
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
What is the "ac input current limit" set to??
0 Likes 0 ·
adrian-arbib avatar image adrian-arbib klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Grid current limit is 50amps.

Where do I set AC input current? Can’t see it in vrm portal

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ adrian-arbib commented ·

The easiest option would be to connect to Remote Console via VRM, navigate to Multiplus > Input Current Limit.

Click on that and do you get the option to change the limit?

remote-console-via-vrm.png

0 Likes 0 ·
adrian-arbib avatar image adrian-arbib klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Thanks....found it . Input current limit is set to 50 amps - which I thought is the correct setting for the Multiplus 5000 ? Not sure how lowering this would make a difference ?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ adrian-arbib commented ·

Not much since you set it so high. Some people set it really low.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Adrian Arbib

Try switching off power assist. Or lowering the boost factor.

Onw of two things can be happening here, the batteries do not have enough steam to help with the power assist, or the factor is too high. Or voltage sag has become a factor (so maybe wiring/resistance from that side)

There are a few posts discussing it

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adrian-arbib avatar image
adrian-arbib answered ·

Thanks - I've lowered the inverter power in ESS from 4000W to 2000W to see if it gives Grid Assist an opportunity to work . I've also changed the threshold from 50W to 200W. I think the problem may be that sudden loads kicking on, like a kettle and a spin cycle of a washing machine too close the threshold I had set it at of 4000W doesn't give the grid assist a chance to get there and the inverter trips out on overload. Not sure if my thinking is right ? I'm pretty new to Victron but very keen to learn.

3 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
The inverter limit should make no difference this is just a point to start using grid, if you are getting overloads it has little to do with the GX ess settings.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Adrian Arbib

I should have asked about ESS. The power assist feature is overridden by the ESS assistant.

3800W inverter limit on the multi 2 is about where it will be happy then, if your grid voltage is at 230v, lower means less as amps ability doesnt change.

Do they always have grid power? If so set the limit inverter power to 3000W (at 230v). That about correct for the multi 2 5. This feature only work when there is grid though.

Is it disconnecting from grid when a load switches on? What battery do you have?

Is it a keep batteries charged system? Or does this happen at a lower SOC?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·

And what is the ambient temperature? Derating can really drop the output. Not that it should matter if grid is active.

1 Like 1 ·