question

markcouz avatar image
markcouz asked

Rx port control of SmartSolar MPPT 100/30

I have a SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 which I am attempting to control remotely using the relay on a BMV 702.

In the online manual Item 5.2.5 states the following;

Remote on/off:
This is the default setting. This functionality will switch the solar charger on or off via the RX pin.
- RX pin to GND will switch the solar charger off.
- RX pin floating or to battery positive will switch the solar charger on.

However this does not appear to work, when I short Gnd-Rx nothing happens?

mppt state
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Have you used the VE.Direct non inverting remote on/off cable as per the manual instructions.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markcouz avatar image markcouz commented ·
No I haven't - I would prefer to use the method of grounding the Rx terminal as mentioned and as described in the online manual, and was hoping that someone with detailed knowledge of the device could explain how to correctly implement this.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ markcouz commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
rx-port.png (83.0 KiB)
markcouz avatar image
markcouz answered ·

Thanks for your reply.

My intention was to use the relay on the BMV to control the ON/OFF state of the MPPT, would the Remote ON/OFF Cable be able to convert a relay input from the BMV into a logic input for the MPPT?

In the mean time I have used the BMV relay to control a relay which will cut off solar input thereby accomplishing the task, but I would much rather be using the logic than a failure prone high current relay,

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

My intention was to use the relay on the BMV to control the ON/OFF state of the MPPT, would the Remote ON/OFF Cable be able to convert a relay input from the BMV into a logic input for the MPPT?

Yes, if you supply 6-70v to the relay, to supply + signal to the yellow lead of the VE direct non invert cable.

I use my BMV's relay to provide OVP and UVP for my battery, combined into my basic BMS.

I would much rather be using the logic than a failure prone high current relay,

Makes sense.

1 Like 1 ·
markcouz avatar image markcouz klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Thank you, i will order the cable and do as you suggest.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic