question

nithinjose avatar image
nithinjose asked

ModbusTCP: com.Victronenergy.inverter (data access issue)

Hi all,
I'm trying access the data from Victron Cerbo GX - Quattro setup using Modbus TCP for the data points mentioned below (CCGX-Modbus-TCP-register-list-2.90).
1675303666815.png
We tried unit ID 227, 100. but no success
extra info:

Cerbo GX and Quattro Firmware is up to date (1/feb/23).

I'm I using the wrong UNIT ID? do i need to do anything extra to access those data points (3130,3132,3134,3136) ?

cerbo gxModbus TCPquattro 10kva
1675303666815.png (12.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
johnone avatar image
johnone answered ·

Hi,
Have you followed the instructions in the 'Unit ID mapping' sheet in the spreadsheet - "On the CCGX go to the device list and open the device of interest, then open the Device subsection ... " (or use Remote Console if no CC).

(you no doubt already know this) If you're using python ModbusTCP and a simple Python IDE, like Thonny, it's no problem when using read_holding_registers to just try Unit ID/ register combos and just see what works.

This might be of no significance but the 2.90 register list I'm seeing has the entries you quoted on lines 367-370 (not 347-350)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nithinjose avatar image
nithinjose answered ·

thanks @Johnone for the response

" Have you followed the instructions in the 'Unit ID mapping' sheet in the spreadsheet - "On the CCGX go to the device list and open the device of interest, then open the Device subsection ... " (or use Remote Console if no CC). "

yes, we tried it (unit id:227) , no success

"(you no doubt already know this) If you're using python ModbusTCP and a simple Python IDE, like Thonny, it's no problem when using read_holding_registers to just try Unit ID/ register combos and just see what works."

Yes, we tried all the possible unit IDs(1-300) , no success

Our end goal is to display victron VRM energy consumption visualization (as shown below) into a third party SCADA dashboard. Its a victron Quattro-cerbo GX system.
1675409604937.png

1675409604937.png (17.2 KiB)
2 |3000

johnone avatar image
johnone answered ·

I'm trying to work my way around all this stuff too. Although pymodbusTCP is my preferred first choice, I wonder if there are better ways of getting to the dbus data - documentation for modbus looks 'not finished yet'. I'm using dbus-mqtt but it does have a quirky keep-alive setup. Node red looks to have more access to dbus than modbus - e.g. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/176102/scheduled-charging-and-node-red.html

Maybe it's best to look at dbus and then work out appropriate protocols for talking to it - sorry I can't be of more help.
https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus

EDIT: just had a quick look at command line access to cerbogx - definitely the way to go. e.g. try dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings

2 |3000

nithinjose avatar image
nithinjose answered ·

@Johnone ,
https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus

The link you shared gave me a hint that "com.vitronenergy.inverter" can be used only for VE.direct inverters & Inverter RS. Not in my normal quattro inverter.
I have to stick with "com.vitronenergy.vebus"

1675651826594.png

I will give it a try using dbus or API.
cheers

1675651826594.png (28.7 KiB)
2 |3000