question

pirx avatar image
pirx asked

[SOLVED] BYD B-Box Pro "overloaded" with MultiPlus-II

Few days ago I have successfully installed an ESS system based on MultiPlus II 48/5000/70, CCGX and BYD B-Box Pro 7.5. It worked fine until yesterday. The batterie went off and cannot be turned on again. The error message when trying to turn it on is: "yellow error LED plus 4x buzzer" indicating a safety mode. The last information in the logger stored before the outage is showing the battery at 100% and 65,18V which is way too high. It should be below 58V.....
I already contacted the BYD support, but wanted to know whether anybody out there has experienced such an issue or has an idea what the root cause is?

(all parameters has been set according to this side: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:byd_b-box)

Multiplus-IIBYD
11 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ยท

Pirx, We need more information

and please check

1. what firmware version are you one 459 is the latest.

2. what has the ESS been installed with and controled I presume a CCGX or venus devce

3. are you connected to the VRM so we can look at the graphs

4. a Wiring diagram of the install would help as well

5. Screen shots of the issues would also help

0 Likes 0 ยท
pirx avatar image pirx Paul B commented ยท

Of course:

1. I checked it during the installation and it was the latest version. I'd need to supply the CCGX with external power to get access to the MultiPlus right now

2. Yes, it's CCGX

3. Yes. The ID is 9c1d5863cc09

4. See below

5. I attach the consumption diagrams for the last three days until the outage yesterday around 5 PM. As said everything worked fine so far....

First day

Second day

Third day.... Battery goes off at 5 PM

This is the last batterie status. 65.18V is too high and the reason for safety mode.

0 Likes 0 ยท
pirx avatar image pirx Paul B commented ยท

sorry for have been placed to answers to you question on wrong place. See above

0 Likes 0 ยท
boekel avatar image boekel โ™ฆ commented ยท

Can you show a screenshot of the DVCC settings in the Color Control?

most of the times this problem is caused by having SVS 'on' (Shared Voltage Sense)

0 Likes 0 ยท
pirx avatar image pirx boekel โ™ฆ commented ยท

Thanks for your comment.

DVCC is ON and Shared Voltage Sence OFF ... as suggested by the compatibilty page at Victron.

This is weird, because everything went correctly until the outage. The problem is right now, that the batterie cannot be turned on.

0 Likes 0 ยท
boekel avatar image boekel โ™ฆ pirx commented ยท

Please first upgrade your inverter to the latest firmware (459), if problems still exist you can contact support for further assistance.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Hi Boekel, the installed Version is 453. Will upgrade it on Monday prior to any other action. Side question: Why do you have a suspicion, that this is causing my problems?

0 Likes 0 ยท

If you don't upgrade to the latest firmware, you won't get support from Victron. You can search for a change-log if you want.

If there are problems, first update and see if there are still problems, if problems persist, then you can get support.

0 Likes 0 ยท

The firmware is now updated to latest version 459. The problem still exist.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Hi @Pirx
Ok sorry to hear that, best to go to your installer / distributor for support.
I've asked if there are known issues with this combination, my first guess would be the battery as it is disconnecting without warning.

https://www.victronenergy.com/support

0 Likes 0 ยท
pirx avatar image pirx commented ยท

Now I'm one step farther with the problem analysis. If I disconnect the DC wires the BYD battery is starting without any problems. The CAN communication to CCGX is working and I can review the status of the Battery. No alarms nor issues can be seen.

The problem seems to be with the MultiPlus. I'm now contracting my distributor to get support.

0 Likes 0 ยท
3 Answers
pirx avatar image
pirx answered ยท

[SOLVED] The reason for the outage was a defect within the MultiPlus - a short circuit of the DC output. The BYD storage immediately turned off.

If you turn a BYD module on, it always checks for short circuit condition before turning the internal relays on, which connects the battery with his DC output. If this is the case, it gives an error message (a. o. 5x buzzer) and turn itself off.

I got a new MultiPlus from my distributor and now eveything is working properly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

byd-service avatar image
byd-service answered ยท

Hello,

Can you confirm you have received a reply from the local service partner? If not please let me know which country you are contacting us from.

5 comments
2 |3000

Thanks for asking. Yes, I have contacted my local service partner for BYD products in Germany. They do received all details from me and promised to get back on Monday. So far so good.

I just wondered whether this community have a simple answer for this issue...

0 Likes 0 ยท

Hi @Pirx did you upgrade your multi's firmware yet?

0 Likes 0 ยท

Hi Boekel,

the installed Version is 453. Will upgrade it on Monday prior to any action. The installation is now off.

0 Likes 0 ยท
pirx avatar image pirx pirx commented ยท

done. The current version is 459 now.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Can you tell me what the usual response time is at BYD support (done by EFT in Europe)? The case is now 5 days with them and there is no reaction.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ยท

Ok I have had a similar issue and have been doing some testing tday on my system , so if you like you could try the below

So try REMOVING the General flag assistant for the time being

TRY this if you are still having your issue, and see if it gets you back and going, yes its work around , and NOT a full solution, but it worked for me for the time being.

if you are using a VE BMS and it has got a High voltage trigger and the red light is on on the unit, this also maybe occurring with other BMS triggers as well but I cant test for that.

then

1. the Venus device may/will loose its Ethernet connection. only way to connect is with the inbuilt wifi

2. the General Flag control will not work, ie you cant turn it of or off

3. the Inverter will not reconnect to the mains until the over voltage trigger on the VE BMS is removed or the gen Flag is removed

So try REMOVING the General flag assistant for the time being or remove the high voltage stop charging trigger

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks Paul,

the challange is that while I can turn on the Multi and the CCGX (using external 12V power unit), I cannot turn on the Battery. To be more precisely I can turn on the Battery, but it goes off within few seconds after showing me the error. So the high voltage trigger is somewhere in the BMS of the Battery. Do you referring to a General flag within the BMS?

I have contacted the BYD support and keen get their guidance as well. Furthermore before any other action I'll update the Firmware of the Multi from 453 to 459, although I don't believe that this is the problem, but who knows...

0 Likes 0 ยท