question

oleg-afanasjev avatar image
oleg-afanasjev asked

alternator overload/burnout with Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger

Outboard motor has alternator 12V, max alternator amp / Watt 35 amp / 441 watt, alternator amp at idle speed 20 amp. Is it safe to use Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger 12/24-15 for this outboard, preventing alternator overload/burnout? Or I should prefer Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger 12/24-10?

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Oleg Afanasjev

This isn't a real answer, just my view on outboards. They're built pretty tough, they have to be. And the makers don't know what batteries are hung off them. Like I have 675Ah of 12V batt on a couple of 30hp Yamahas, and never worry about how much charge they'll be called upon to output, whether running both or just one. Whether alternator or stator type I doubt it matters.

Doesn't mean you should idle them for hours, but in normal use they should handle what you propose.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Also note that you're using 12/24 Orions, so input current (alternator load) is twice the output current... So the 12/24 15 will try to draw 30A from the alternator, assuming the batteries are sufficiently discharged to accept that much current.

2 |3000