question

remibggx avatar image
remibggx asked

Orion Tr Smart Non Isolated 12/24 30a Always in Bulk

Hi there,

A quick question regarding the Orion Tr Smart Non Isolated 12/24 30a.

I recently installed it with a Victron Lithium Battery 160ah. The device seems to be working because it is charging the battery. However, it is always in Bulk, even after driving 2 hours while the battery is at about 13.2V (all cells are at about 3.30V).

My installation is:

• Fiat Ducato 2010 2.3 JTD 130ch
  • Orion Tr Smart Non Isolated 12/24 30a plugged to a Cyrix-Li Charge.
  • The Cyrix-Li Charger is plugged to a VE.BUS.BMS and goes to the battery.

I, so far, never lack battery and the battery is rarely below 12.8V, which is what I want in the end.

The entry V is about 13.5 to 14.0V and the output V is in general at about 13.5V to 14.0V.

The settings are in the below screenshots.screenshot-20230125-193523.jpgscreenshot-20230125-193545.jpgscreenshot-20230125-193553.jpg

However, I seem to not be capable of getting a full charge.

I sometimes got the absorption and floating mode only once in a few weeks of use.

I am wondering if the fact that the charger is always in Bulk mode is normal or if there is something off?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Rémi

battery chargingchargerorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
remibggx avatar image
remibggx answered ·

I am coming back today, because it seems that the charger does not charge as good as expected. My battery was empty today after charging my computer two or three times.

What I seem to understand is that the Orion charges up to a certain point and then is not sufficient to charge fully battery.

Anyone could confirm this or has experienced a similar behavior?

Thanks in advance.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

some ideas:

If you have loads on the house battery (the one being charged by Orion), then these will reduce the charging current. This might explain why Orion remains in bulk.

The voltage Orion measures at it's output is critical to proper charging. If there is a voltage difference between the Orion output terminals and the actual battery voltage then this could cause charing to finish early.

Orion will reduce it's charging current based on the voltage at its INPUT. This prevents too low a voltage at the input. If there is too much voltage drop in the input wiring (from the starter battery/alternator) then Orion may be throttled significantly and may actually shut down if the shutdown voltage is reached.

2 |3000