question

ako avatar image
ako asked

MPPT differences

opera-snapshot-2023-01-21-140107-wwwamazones.pngAre these two different models and if they are how are they different , i notice the one states CAN , the other doesn't and the only manuals i can fine online or at Victron all say MPPT 150-70 Smart Solar Tr CAN .

opera-snapshot-2023-01-21-140017-wwwvictronenergyc.png

I am wondering if one is a discontinued model .

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Are these two different models and if they are how are they different , i notice the one states CAN , the other doesn't

One has the VE.Can interface, the other does not have it.

Both have the VE.Direct interface.

Also, one is 70A, the other is 100A (those from the pictures).

"Tr" is the designation for screw terminals for both PV and battery wires.

Manuals here:
Models without VE.Can.

Models with VE.Can.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

I can see the CAN interface but not sure what advantage it would have over the one without

One big advantage is that you can have a lot more VE.Can devices in your system than VE.Direct devices.

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
@AKO

Ve Can mppts are usually a little more expensive.

They are used in larger systems as the can bus allows 25 mppts to be daisy chained to the GX. It allows more distance as well away from the GX physically.

Ve direct is more limited in distance (10 meters) and number of connections. 15 being the max for the Cerbo.

In terms of harvesting solar, they all run the same firmware and do the same job.

The difference between TR and MC4s is really allows for pre combination or direct connection (thorough DC isolation/fusing of course).

2 |3000

ako avatar image
ako answered ·

The photo was from Victron , it was for all the models but showed just the 150/100 as an example Seb . I can see the CAN interface but not sure what advantage it would have over the one without , At the moment i use VRM to monitor my system through the Cerbo and VE CONFIGURE to set up and make adjustments to my old style Blue Solar MPPT which has a RJ45 connections inside that go to the Cerbo VE BUS and a Multiplus that has the CAN connector to do the same , being unsure what the VE CAN does i dont know if to buy the one that doesn't have it .

2 |3000

ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Thank you Alexandra , as the MPPT will be the only one i have and mounted within 30cm of the Cerbo it looks like the Tr with the VE Direct connector will be just as suitable for me and the one with a CAN connection would be , in fact i dont think i would benefit from having a CAN connection .

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic