question

rmb avatar image
rmb asked

Need Help with Smart Shunt and Battery Charger configurations

Hello Folks, I recently installed the LiFePo4 batteries (2x100Ah) in my offgrid trailer with Victron Smart Shunt (500A/50mV model) and Victron Battery Charger (Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 30 amp).

The batteries do have built-in bluetooth as well and currently shows 27% SOC, checking individually since they are connected parallelly.

So my concern now is that when I have my shore power plugged in, it was in absorb state for few mins and then went to Storage.

Shunt does not show anything for SOC value and when I turn on the breaker it shows the -ve Amperage being consumed and nothing going in while its plugged into shore at the same time. When i have breaker turned off, it shows 0 draw being off, but shouldn't be +ve value be shown in shunt since its on shore right now.

I am attaching few pictures to show this as well and please see if someone can guide me through this config. I just want to charge them about 50-60% and then remove from shore as I am not taking my trailer out for now.

image-2023-01-18-222246.jpgimage-2023-01-18-222256.jpgimage-2023-01-18-222309.jpg

battery chargingLithium BatterySmartShuntSOCbluesmart ip22
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Given there is a difference in voltage between the SmartShunt and IP 22, I would suspect the fuse in the bottom of the IP 22 has blown. Plz check.

You should probably change the "charged voltage" setting in the SmartShunt to 13.8v, for when you eventually want to fully charge your batteries.

Also you should fully charge each battery individually before you wire them in parallel. (when the time comes) This will minimize BMS problems with cell balancing due to slightly different battery SOC.

PS. The SmartShunt will only show "--" until the battery has been fully charged and "synchronized". (I think)

0 Likes 0 ·
rmb avatar image rmb klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

screen-shot-2023-01-19-at-93838-am.pngI confirmed on the FUSE as well and its in good shape. Just wondering what gauge wire i should be using from the charger to the battery and does those wires need the inline fuse as well?

0 Likes 0 ·
christern avatar image christern rmb commented ·
If the above drawing is how you have connected the charger and shunt it is not correct. The negative cable should be on the "System" side of the shunt. On that side also the generator of your van (if exists) should be connected. (That's how the shunt "sees" both load and consumption.)
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ rmb commented ·

@rmb check out @ChristerN comment on charger negative location.

I would use the max wire size that fits into the terminal block, 6awg (16mm).

Yes a fuse at the battery will prevent disaster, should the cable get damaged.

cable-recomendation.png

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Alistair Warburton avatar image
Alistair Warburton answered ·

The charged Voltage needs to be slifgtly below your absorb voltage which will be 14.4-14.6 I think. Tail current looks high, check the battery specs. Wiring is not correct as stated above. Nothing should connect directly to th battery neg, other than the shunt, so that it measures all current.

You can manually set the SOC to any value, using the victron connect app, if you want to sync it without doing a full charge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rmb avatar image
rmb answered ·

Issue all resolved now, it was the fuses on the charging cables which were blown up as i didnt knew that they were only 15A on a 30A line :D. So i replaced the existing smaller cables and installed 6awg lines with 40A breaker on them and its working fine. Yeah initially i had charging cable connected to the battery -ve as well but forgot to correct the diagram.

2 |3000