question

scampb avatar image
scampb asked

Removing batteries for winter

Hey everyone. Total noob here when it comes to electrical systems and winter storage of batteries so if these questions are simple for most I apologize for my ignorance in advance. I had a Promaster converted for me. It uses the Victron system with a couple volthium aventura series 200 amp hour batteries. I was storing my van for the winter so I reached out to the company that did my conversion and asked the best way to store the batteries if I was not going to be using the van in the winter. He stated I should pull them out and store in doors, which I did. I turned off the main power switch and turned off the charge from van while driving using the app on my phone. However, when I did that it told me it should only be turned off during maintenance. I am just wondering now if turning that off on the app and removing the batteries for the winter was the right thing or if this is going to cause me problems in the spring when I prep the van for use. If it is ok to remove the batteries should they be kept on a trickle charger or are they ok to leave sitting?

storage
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ingo21 avatar image ingo21 commented ·

removing the batteries and storing them in door at ambient temperature is the right thing.

it should not cause you any problems putting them back in spring.

as for charging.... lithium batteries are actually more happy being stored NOT fully charged.

i would not charge them full for storage and watch them by measure the voltage every other week or maybe or app shows you.

they can be charged between 50% and to 80% for storage.

0 Likes 0 ·
scampb avatar image scampb ingo21 commented ·
Thank you Ingo. Having said that, are there any major negative effects if the batteries were fully charged when they were removed? They would have been close to fully charged, if not fully charged.
0 Likes 0 ·
ingo21 avatar image ingo21 scampb commented ·
the battery could lose capacity if stored fully charged
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic