question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Which data is more accurate

I have replaced my 16 assorted 18 year old Poly panels with new 4 large Mono panels and would like to know 2 things

1/ What output am I getting from the panels

2/ What charge are my batteries now receiving from my MPPT

I have an old style Blue Solar Charge Controller with the screen and 4 buttons on the front and im also using VRM and understand how to do widgets if necessary but confused which options I should be looking at on both the MPPT and VRM . I dont have a Shunt

Trying to find the information I need is proving to be very confusing , firstly using the History option of the MPPT I have been seeing a 10-15% discrepancy between it and VRM , even when zooming in on the peaks . VRM , Charge Controller current shows mid 40s while the MPPT History shows Daily Battery Current Maximum to be high 50s .

VRM Data , Charge Controller Maximum Charge Power Today shows high 1600 Watts and the MPPT History is identical but I cant see any other graph where the Watts are shown that high , Maximum I can see is just before changing from Bulk to Absorption Charge Controller PV Power where it peaks at1300 Watts .

The other question I have is which setting do I use for Absorption times , the MPPT uses a method where it looks at the voltage during the hours prior to charging and set to a time depending on how low the voltage has been . Normally my voltage during these hours is between 24.6 – 24.7 and the adsorption time matches the battery manufactures recommendations but some nights a motor has cut in and momentarily reduced the voltage to below 24.4 then almost immediately returning to normal , the momentary drop sets the adsorption time into the next bracket requiring 10 hours rather than the normal 5 hours, Im not sure if the programming of the MPPT intend for any drop in voltage to have such a drastic effect or not

Is there a manual or somewhere that gives a explanation of the various data produced by the MPPT and VRM for dummies .

Any advice gratefully received .

vrm advanced
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Thank you , your explanation makes sense , i have been looking at the maximum figures in History but the moment a maximum is achieved could be between logging points so not being recorded on the graphs so the different figures are not so much a discrepancy but due to incomplete info . Which graph should i be using to give me the information i need , the output of my panels are giving and the Charge going into my Batteries .

If you could also advise on the Absorption times question i would be most grateful .

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
@AKO

don't forget the graphs on the vrm are at 60 second intervals (if you have set your logging there)

there will be internet lag between your installation and the vrm receiving data

the peaks may be out of the 60s window so falling the the dark 59 seconds in between.

Basically the graph resolution on the VRM is not granular enough for how you are analysing. you need grafana or something more granular.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@AKO

I use these ones.

screenshot-20230116-103145.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Thank you again Alexandra , the bottom two that you are using is what i also use so its good to know you use them for the same purpose . I also use Charge Controller PV Power from the custom widgets which shows a graph close but not identical to Solar Charger PV Yield , im unsure of what the difference between them is .

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic