question

John Biggin avatar image
John Biggin asked

Adding extra PV system, Multiplus and battery storage, DNO dilemma

Currently have a 3.6kw FIT system installed 10 years ago. I want to add a new Battery storage system with an extra 3kw solar and use a multiplus II(48/5000/75) setup for ESS. Setup so it does not affect the FIT system

Having scoured the forums i decided to approach National grid (western power) to discuss a DNO application. They have initially said " i dont think you can do a self install, please speak to a qualified installer"

My plan was to do all the infrastructure work and an electrician( (not MCS qualified) safety check and make the final connections and sign off the work for building regs.

Any advice how to proceed?

Thanks

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

My DNO (WPD) was prepared to accept self-install but did not like/understand the additional PV. So I re-applied without it and got accepted with conditions of 3.7kW max export and 3.7kW max inverter power.

Later I added more panels on the DC side via an MPPT, which they are not concerned about given the above limitations that were already in place.

If your electrician is happy to be named as the installer on the G98/G99 paperwork I can't see how WPD can object. Don't think they can insist on MCS. There is also a consultancy G59 who will do some of this for a fee.

Presumably you are up to speed with the ongoing saga of the on-off type approval of the 5kVA Multi?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rata1 avatar image
rata1 answered ·

I did pretty much the same. Have FIT 6kW and added 2 x MP2 5ks

Get the G99 in first and find an electrician willing to do it second.

I put self install on mine as well as the electrician's name. No problems. WPD as well.

MCS is only needed if you want to sell it back but a guy on here got Octopus to buy it without, as MCS isn't actually required - but maybe easier.

I excluded solar on my application to avoid confusion. It helped!

Mine is in service having been granted permission last year and I will be adding panels to the Victron in a month or so when the weather improves. DNO don't care about DC side.

Good luck.

2 |3000

John Biggin avatar image
John Biggin answered ·

Thanks for the replies, sorry its taken so long to answer.

I applied for DNO using G59 and was accepted immediately. Now just have to fill in the completed works paperwork.

Thanks again

2 |3000