question

sascha-brinkmann avatar image
sascha-brinkmann asked

Unstable Modbus/TCP connection to Multiplus 2 GX

I'm operating a Multiplus 2 GX with activated Modbus TCP (see Picture 1). A separate Raspberry Pi which is running Node-Red connects to the Modbus/TCP endpoint. The modbus TCP connection is used to read information from the Multiplus and to control the ESS based on my dynamic energy tariff. While the communication itself works quite well, the connection to the Multiplus is unstable and breaks regularly (see Picture 2). To be able to reconnect I have to move the the modbus connection in the editor slightly and re-deploy in Node-Red. I've tried to optimize the connection settings (see Picture 3) towards the Multiplus but without any impact.

From my current perspective there is no reason for the instability. Within the VRM portal there are no connection issued and the state of the Multiplus is reported without data gaps or connection issues.

Picture 1

1673271500367.png

Picture 2

bildschirmfoto-2023-01-09-um-142502.png

Picture 3

bildschirmfoto-2023-01-09-um-142951.png

Multiplus-IINode-REDModbus TCP
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
sascha-brinkmann avatar image
sascha-brinkmann answered ·

I've updated the modbus library to the currently latest available version and this seem to fix the instabilities. My settings within the package.json is as following in the dependencies section:

"node-red-contrib-modbus": "^5.25.0"
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That is quite unusual. I regularly request 25+ FC3 reads every 5 seconds all day every day and I have never had a problem.
Have you had a look at the resources on your GX device? Maybe use top to make sure that the GX is not struggling with resources first.

2 |3000