question

scotty79 avatar image
scotty79 asked

IP22 30/1 connection and charging

cc.jpg

Hi, I have an IP22 30/1 and have just connected it up to my small new build solar setup. I have not yet turned it all on as I need to confirm it is connected correctly. My question is:

I have it connected to the positive and negative of my bus bars to the same point as my MPPT charge controller. Is this the correct way to connect it like this? Also, (if correct) when I plug it into the mains to charge the batteries when needed can I still use the setup such as the inverter etc? Will it still charge the batteries if the load I am using AC or DC is less than the charger output?

I charged the batteries at 30a setting prior to building this up and it makes a loud hum/buzzing on bulk until it goes on to absorption. It's a lot quieter at 15a charge. I'm told this is normal but the manual states it is silent operation?!

Thank you!

bluesmart ip22
cc.jpg (1.7 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Scotty79

Connecting the chargers and inverter this way is fine, however the positive wires are not protected by fuses. I strongly recommend catching up on this.

10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scotty79 avatar image scotty79 commented ·
Thanks, I thought the charger would be okay as it has a 40a fuse in the underside. I read the inverter also has protection built in. Would it not be fine like this?
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ scotty79 commented ·

These fuses protect against reverse polarity, but not the wiring.

0 Likes 0 ·
scotty79 avatar image scotty79 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Won't the 225a fuse I have from the battery protect the inverter? It's only 12" away to the right of the negative bus bar. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ scotty79 commented ·
Each supply cable needs protection, regardless of the length.

Have a look at Victron's Wiring Unlimited book. A must read for every diy installer (and professional). Chapter 4.4. explains all you need to know about it.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ scotty79 commented ·

@Scotty79 Won't the 225a fuse I have from the battery protect the inverter?

Your 8ga cable will probably catch fire before the 225a fuse blows.

Your battery fuse should be closer to the battery also.

0 Likes 0 ·
scotty79 avatar image scotty79 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

1672788790138.png

scotty79 answered · 8 minutes ago

Hi, what cable are you referring to when you say 8ga? The battery is just under the fuse.

0 Likes 0 ·
The red cable between the bus and BSC.

It has 8 GAUGE printed on the cable ;).

0 Likes 0 ·
scotty79 avatar image scotty79 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
The mppt charge controller is 50a output with a 60a fuse and the 8awg cable is rated at 110a. It's fine for solar charging.
0 Likes 0 ·

BSC = Blue Smart Charger.

Imagine what would happen should the cable drop out of the BSC and onto the inverter.

1 Like 1 ·
dc4me avatar image dc4me klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
BINGO!
0 Likes 0 ·