question

nick-johnson avatar image
nick-johnson asked

Offgrid vehicle charging

Is anyone aware of a solution for charging an EV from an offgrid solar installatiion (for example, Fronius + Victron)? Ideally I want a solution where the user can select between "eco" and "fast" charging modes; in "eco" mode it should use excess solar once the batteries are fully charged, while respecting the maximum current limit for the solar inverters.

All the existing solutions I'm able to find for 'eco' vehicle charging rely on measuring exported energy to determine what is available for car charging, which is obviously not an option here.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerFronius
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
ben-rudd avatar image
ben-rudd answered ·

This may be of use.

Off Grid Victron / Fronius with EV charging

https://www.evolutionaustralia.com.au/charge-ev-electric-car-tesla-off-grid-at-home

Would also be interested in other ideas

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nick-johnson avatar image nick-johnson commented ·
I saw that, but it has some pretty big caveats! I could improvise a solution using a PLC and battery voltage or mains frequency detection to similar effect without the caveat, but I was hoping for a fully-realised solution.
0 Likes 0 ·
n-dee avatar image
n-dee answered ·

I'm quite a bit surprised because I did assume that the victron charging station is fully able to work offgrid.

Question to all:
does it charge offgrid or no?

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ev-charging-station

2 |3000

lucca371 avatar image
lucca371 answered ·

At this time EV Charging Station can only charge in grid mode with express pv (firmware 1.24).
Victron is currently developing a new firmware version which support offgrid charging.

2 |3000

uv-solar avatar image
uv-solar answered ·

Any news about this toppic ? is there a firmware update available for offgrid evcharging

thanks

2 |3000

uv-solar avatar image
uv-solar answered ·

Any news about this toppic ? is there a firmware update available for offgrid evcharging

thanks

2 |3000