question

mark-hicks avatar image
mark-hicks asked

Max generator input with MultiPlus 48/1200/13-16?

I only get 1000W from my generator when it's charging my bank via two MultiPlus 48/1200 units connected in parallel. Is that the limit of the units or have I got something set up wrong?

Changing the generator curretn limit (either up or down) does nothing! I don't get it - please help!

multiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Mark Hicks

It has a 13A charger. So you are seeing the max it can do.

16A transfer and 13A charger.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Mark Hicks

That '13' in the model name is it's rating for charge Amps at battery V. They may hover a little below that in practice. So maybe 700W for each unit.

But they may not come set at the full allowance. This used to be common practice, so check that the Charge setting is where you want it. Note that's not the genset limit.

If this isn't the reason there may be something else at play, like genset power quality, or the settings you're using to get the genset accepted. We'd need to know more about what you're doing to be able to offer much more help.

3 comments
2 |3000

mark-hicks avatar image mark-hicks commented ·
Thanks both of you. I'd not related the 13amp limit to the bank voltage, seems obvious now! I think I'd assumed the genset limit was the charge limit - where do I adjust the charge limit? If I could get 700W for each unit that'd be a worthwhile improvement!

I have 5 Pylontech US3000C, the 2 Multiplus units and 2 PV arrays built around a Cerbo GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ mark-hicks commented ·
@Mark Hicks

That's a lot of battery for a couple of small Multis, so can understand your concerns.

The charger settings are within the Multi's Charger section. I use VEConfigure, but whatever way you can. Also look in the Cerbo's DVCC settings to check that there's not an overriding charge limit set there.

0 Likes 0 ·
mark-hicks avatar image mark-hicks JohnC ♦ commented ·

You're right - I'm definitely under-inverted! The system was originally for an off-grid caravan used during a house build (with small lead acid bank) - 1 Multi was adaquate. Once the house was finished I upgraded to Pylontech but to save money increased the inverter output by adding another Multi in parallel, which was daft considering the cost of the lithium! Guess I need to bite the bullet and get something that'll provide the power the house needs but also efficiently use the generator.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes 0 ·