question

tommyb avatar image
tommyb asked

Is there any way i can run a 1.5 Hp motor from my MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-32 230V?

Hi All,

I'm just trying to size up a Cat pump for my watermaker and want to know what I can effectively run from my inverter.

I have 4 x 12v 200AH lifepo4 batteries with maximum 2540W output (according to the manufacturer).

The majority of motors I'm looking at have a start-up load of around 50A at 1750RPM, Before settling in at about 7A. I'm wondering if I can put a soft start in-line somewhere to bring the start-up load down to a workable range. If not, Is it possible to have a 2.2kva Suitcase generator hooked up to the inverter, allowing the inverter to pull power from the generator and battery bank for the start-up, then turn the generator off to allow my batteries to continue feeding the motor for a few hours to fill my tanks?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you, Tom

inverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Not a MultiPlus but a Phoenix Inverter 24/3000 and it worked with a 1500W Garden Chopper from Husquarna.

The Inverter housing make a short "bang" which comes probably from the extrem high magnetfiekd of the toridial transformer, but since the Phoenix/Multiplus have a nice overload capability, it should work.

If not, you will need a matchibg soft start electronic for your Motor

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tommyb avatar image
tommyb answered ·

Thank you for your response, Much appreciated!

I'll just buy the motor I think, Then throw a clamp on it to see what it comes back with for the start-up amps. I found out elsewhere that if all else fails, I CAN have a generator hooked up to the inverter, which will help with the initial start-up of the motor (up to 32A), then I can switch that off and let the batteries continue feeding the motor.

Thank you again for the response, Tom

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

The generator is unlikely to respond fast enough for the surge current. I would not bet on that working.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Most multimeters are not fast enough to register the true peak current. For that you need an oscilloscope and a clamp-on current probe.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic