question

yaudet avatar image
yaudet asked

When making connections in the Lynx Distributor, what to do with the 2 small red wires?

I posted the following question a while ago without receiving answers, so I'm trying again:

When making connections in the Lynx Distributor, there are 2 small wires already present on 2 of the connecting posts:

• on the negative bus bar where the ground connection is meant to go; and
  • on the second slot of the positive bus bar.

The product manual indicates to leave these small red wires in place, and more specifically to install the Mega fuse on top of the one on the positive bus bar.

I would like to double check this, as doing so means that all the current needs to go *through* the small connectors of these wires in order to reach the bus bar (or from the bus bar in the case of the positive connection). Since these are very small connectors, would it not be preferable to lift these wires, and put them back on top of, respectively, the ground and the positive connections.

(I searched the forums without being able to find information on this before posting, but I suspect I'm far from being the only person with this question. Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply if you are able to do so.)

lynx distributor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The manual will have been written like that to answer your question. Consider other current routes such as through the posts.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

yaudet avatar image
yaudet answered ·

Thanks for taking the time to comment, but I'm not sure I understand. Like I wrote in my original post, I already know what the manual indicates. What I'm trying to get clarity on, is the impact of having the current go through the small-caliber connections of the red wires (assuming we are leaving them in place and not lifting them on top of the new connections).

(For what it's worth, I'm also using other connection routes for some connections, but I would still like to confirm whether leaving the existing "red wire" connections in place like the manuel indicates creates a problem or not.)

2 |3000

ajmacleod avatar image
ajmacleod answered ·

I personally lifted them to fit the fuse and replaced them on top so they are just below the washers and nut - that seems the most sensible route to me and hasn't caused me any issues.

2 |3000

yaudet avatar image
yaudet answered ·

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. That's the approach that seems to make the most sense to me due to the high current potentially having to go through the small connectors otherwise. But since the manual says different, it would be nice if someone from Victron or an experienced installer could chime in.

2 |3000