question

critterfer avatar image
critterfer asked

MK3 not connecting to multiplus 24/1600/40 on Windows 10

Greetings. I have two Multiplus 24/1600/40's that I would like to connect in parallel. I have been unable to communicate with them in any way. I've tried a laptop and desktop computer with apple iOS and windows 10 operating systems. I've tried VE Configure 3, and VE The drivers seem to work fine. No yellow triangle, and the device is recognised as an MK3. I've downloaded the drivers both from Victron website and directly from FTDI website. Tried completely wiping everything and starting over several time. The inverters and MK3 were purchased within the past year, just months ago. I've tried everything I can think of and there is absolutely no communication between the MK3 and inverter, nothing, ever. Please HELP!!!

VictronConnectmultiplus in parallelMK3
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Do you have a gx device at all?

If you do you can plug it into the ve bus port there and check if it is working. See troubleshooting.

Have you tried with just victron connect on the inverters?

0 Likes 0 ·
critterfer avatar image critterfer Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I do not have a gx device at all. I'm very certain the MK3 works. I only just bought it, it has the quality control OK sticker on it, and it shows up in device manager as an MK3-USB interface. I have tried Victron Connect on the inverters. It swirls around for a bit, then says it can't connect.

0 Likes 0 ·
9 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@critterfer

The ethernet cable from the mk3 to the ve bus? Maybe the issue is there.

And other question, are the inverters on while you are trying to connect?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

critterfer avatar image critterfer commented ·
The ethernet cable is a standard UTP cat 5 cable, about 2m in length. I have some cat 6a I could try. The inverters are on when I try to connect via VictronConnect. When I try VE Configure or QuickConfig, I turn them on when it says to. The software can always detect the MK3, but won't connect to the inverters. It's so strange. I've tried three different operating systems on three different devices. Always detects the MK3, won't communicate with the inverters.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ critterfer commented ·
It is unusual.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ critterfer commented ·
Does the ethernet cable have all connectors wired? Some have wires missing.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, I would says so.

0 Likes 0 ·
critterfer avatar image
critterfer answered ·

Got it working! Cable issue. Cat 5e UTP cables did the trick. I've managed to communicate with each inverter using all three devices, Windows 10 desktop, Linux (Ubuntu 22.04) laptop, and Android phone. So far, I'm enjoying the conversation with my inverters. I think we'll be good friends. Thanks, Victron Community! Admin, you may close this thread!

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

When you connect the mk3 does it at least appear as a comm port In device manager?

Sometimes antivirii software can also meddle.

4 comments
2 |3000

Yes, it appears as a comm port in device manager. It even says it's an MK3-USB interface.

0 Likes 0 ·

Disabled the antivirus software, restarted and same thing. Can't connect.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ critterfer commented ·

If you manually select the comm port number device manager shows in veconfigure, does that work? Make sure the GX isn’t connected at the same time.

Also try ve quick config.

0 Likes 0 ·
critterfer avatar image critterfer nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

When I select the comm port number seen in the device manager, it still detects the MK3, but does not connect to the inverter. The same thing happens in quick config. I don't have a GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

I have problems with my MK3 running through an USB hub. Direct connection to laptop/computer usb works fine. Try another usb port.

When viewing device manager, and plugging in the MK3, it pops up as a "USB serial port (COM5)" 9600 baud.

After opening VE Configure and ticking all the warning flags, Port Selection > com port > COM5 (USB serial port) your com port will vary!

You can also try Victron Connect via computer. Victron Connect also works on an Android phone/tablet with an OTG adapter.

2 |3000

critterfer avatar image
critterfer answered ·

VE Configure detects the MK3, but it doesn't connect to the inverter. I'm thoroughly confused. I really don't get it. I feel like I've tried everything.

2 |3000

critterfer avatar image
critterfer answered ·

Could it possibly be an issue with the inverters? Seems unlikely since I have two, bought months apart, from separate suppliers. Neither of them communicates. I've also tried with a linux computer, following the installation instructions. Again, the computer can find the MK3, but can't connect to either one of the inverters.

2 |3000

critterfer avatar image
critterfer answered ·

I just tried using an OTG adapter to connect with my Android smartphone. Again, it recognized the MK3, but didn't connect to the inverters, either one. I'm kind of getting desperate here. These inverters aren't much use if I can't configure them. HELP!

2 |3000

critterfer avatar image
critterfer answered ·

Is it possible that with all of the attempts at connecting, that something was damaged in the comms section of the inverter? What should I do now? This sucks!

2 |3000

critterfer avatar image
critterfer answered ·

Progress! I managed to connect to each inverter individually using a cat 5e UTP cable. Unfortunately, I only have one of these cables, so parallel operation isn't possible until I get another. However, I'm delighted to have made progress and to know that the equipment is functional. Yay!!!

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Progress at last! Often the most head-scratching problems have simple explanations. Hopefully clear sailing ahead for your install.
1 Like 1 ·