question

vronsky avatar image
vronsky asked

@Moderators: Victron BeagleBone images not installing on BBB

@Moderators:

FYI: the images of the VENUS OS for the BeagleBone mini computer offered here:

https://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/images/beaglebone/

..do not install on BeagleBone Black (BBB)

I just purchased a new SEEED BBB model Rev C3 B14-WU1 (2) and discovered your images don't work.

As the regular firmware for the BBB does flash fine, the BBB and MicroSD are okay.

Would you please check this out ?

Venus OSmodifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'm pretty sure I have built a BBB recently without any problems.
I'll dig out my spare BBB tomorrow and try with the latest image.
My BBB boards are the Beagleboard ones from days gone by, but I can't see why the Seeed ones would be any different.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vronsky avatar image
vronsky answered ·

Hi wkirby, thanks!

just tested the first version in the list -V2- and this one does work fine...

18/11: Correction: V2 version flashes fine, all 4 LEDS solid, but have not been able to next connect to the GUI, this could be non-BBB related of course.

V.

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I did try to flash v2.92 to my Beaglebone today. I downloaded the imgage this morning also.
It did work well the first time for me, so I don't really know why you would have problems with your board. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the image file.

Just to be sure that we are on the same page, you are using these instructions?
https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/bbb-user-instructions

2 |3000

vronsky avatar image
vronsky answered ·

Thanks. Followed those instructions to the letter, very strange.

Which image burning tool did you use, Etcher ?

When flashing the V2 version (and also the regular BBB firmware) LED0 lights up, followed by LED1, -2, and 3.

V2.92, however, follows another, irratic sequence, ending with a blinking LED1 and stalled flashing.

At least I have one version that appears ok, but I'll try more older versions aswell to see if a more recent one works also

Any older versions that I definitely should not use if they work ?

Is the browser login for the GUI still 'venus.local" ??

V.

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Now you mention it, I did have LED1 blinking for a long time after the sequence was completed LED0 - LED3.
I got bored at this stage and pressed the reset button and then it booted Venus no problem.

My Beaglebone is on a different subnet to my browser machine so I have never used venus.local, I always browse to the IP address of the Beaglebone its self.

2 |3000

vronsky avatar image
vronsky answered ·

Don't want to bother you much longer:

-any of the older versions I should not use (should they work like V2) ?

-which image burning tool did you use on the MicroSD?

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

No problem, happy to help.

I don't know of any versions which don't work. Over the years, any version which I have used for ground-up build has worked. I have not necessarily used all of the ground-up images.

Today I used Etcher to make the SD card.
In the past I have used other imaging tools, maybe even DD in the past, I don't remember.

2 |3000

vronsky avatar image
vronsky answered ·

Thanks. I mean, are any of the older versions unsafe/unstable/inadequate/unreliable for me to use, if I cannot resolve the issue with the newest versions ?

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'm not aware of any that don't work. As far as I know, they all work.
Of course the older ones will be missing features etc. but if you build from an older ground-up image you can always do online upgrade to the latest version using the firmware menu in the GUI.

2 |3000

vronsky avatar image
vronsky answered ·

v2.73 was the first of the recent versions that could be installed, and worked fine.

The Online Update tool next upgraded the BBB to the current version v2.92.

Just now need to get rid of some 'mystery' devices showing om my portal...

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.