question

portsample avatar image
portsample asked

Using a 100/50 SmartSolar controller with no battery

I have a greenhouse. I'd like to use solar panels, a 100/50 SmartSolar controller and batteries to run fans in the summer and circulate air. In the winter, I do not use the fans, but I'd like to run 12v from the panels to simple 12v heaters (200w) in water tanks in the greenhouse. I do not care about running the heaters at night, or on cloudy days. Would it damage the SmartSolar controller if I ran it in the winter with batteries disconnected? Power would go directly from the SmartSolar controller to the 12v heating coils in the water tanks when the sun is shining and be inactive when it is not. I have three 200w panels that are 12v.

battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

How much solar Panels du you have ? Voltage / Current

I think it will be not possible to run a "heater" directly with the pannels. How much W does the Heater ?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

portsample avatar image portsample commented ·
Panels are 12v/1200w.

12v heaters are 250w. I was planning to do 2 or more.

Will operating without batteries and pulling load damage the SmartSolar 100/50? Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image netrange portsample commented ·

12V and 1200W ... or 120W ?

Technically this would work but I would add batteries to keep the operating point of the Mppt better.

In addition, the batteries compensate better for short solar dips and stabilize your load.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic